On The Sofa (8)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (8)

This topic contains 1,002 replies, has 72 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,003 total)
  • Author
    MissRori @missrori

Thanks for the RT link @jimthefish.  So far there have been some interesting Facebook comments on the article too — one saying let’s be kind not only to each other but the people who make the show!  😉

Me, I don’t think I would have survived in a world of cyberbullies.  I graduated from the horrors of high school just before the Internet really became a thing, and those were bad enough.  In fact it was something that wound up enriching my life instead.  I got to know the online world because I became interested in Who.

Whisht @whisht

Hey @jimthefish – yes, Capaldi nails it there.
    Something to live up to.

Hopefully it was here on the Sofa where @Thane15 (and others) were talking about the joys of reading.
    I’ve got a bit of time back (ie I now don’t have to ‘think’ about planning some time to read!) and have been devouring books.
    Just munched through Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere (hadn’t read before; didn’t see all the original series and if I saw any of it I can’t remember it).
    Loved it. Just beforehand I’d read China Mieville’s Un Lun Dun which (for me) owes to Gaiman what Gaiman owes to Douglas Adams.
    I keep thinking each Mieville book I read will be better (I liked Kraken more, and The City and the City even more) but… still get the feeling he’s either got better inside of him or he’s circling around and around.

Also read Ray Bradbury’s Dandelion Wine. For me I can only take sips of Bradbury and leave it again for a decade – there’s only so many smells of taffy, dripping summers, fairgrounds and sepia memories (especially as I grew up in a new town in england and not 1930’s America). But, but but…. to dip into that always-summer memory of time and place is wonderful and heartbreaking and life affirming.

What else…. ? Started Persepolis but just ran out of energy and stopped. Will start again. Also some slightly dark Japanese comic from the late 60’s (very stark ‘realistic’ storytelling). Not sure if I can connect with the usually male protagonists at all.

Next up – probably some comics (I was gifted a library of Jeff Lemire stuff !). And whatever pops out in the local Oxfam (I’m using it like a paying library – I really ‘should’ use the Library as an act of support, but enjoy the gentle gift-giving).

I really *must* get away on holiday, but so far I’ve travelled quite a lot with these books and am wholeheartedly loving it !

;¬)

Mersey @mersey

@mudlark

It would be great if Gardeners’world last one hour with half an hour of Monty Don wandering in his garden and half an hour about interesting gardens. The current format seems a bit cramped. The next episode is one hour long so I can’t wait. The interview with Beth Chatto was very inspiring. My favourite moment was when Beth touched Carol’s chick as if she was a teenager asking her for advise. You Britons have very rich tradition of gardening, much more richer than in Poland when most people live in blocks of flats and winter is longer.

Puro (@thane15)

Drought? It’s April and I still wear my winter jacket. 8 degrees C outside :-/

The only plants which can stand my company are cactuses (which boom every year). I decided to change that and bought a pot plant with actual leaves and flowers and keep it alive. Any recommendations?

@thane15 and @whisht as we are talking about books

I’ve been reading the Ranger’s Apprentice of an australian writer John Flanagan.  I’ve heard it’s  rather successful (it has to be as it was published as audiobook in Poland) series. Have you read it? Nice books, but rather for teenagers than for adults, at least first four books which for me should be one volume. The author has interesting ideas but I feel he chooses the easiest, not to say fairy-tale options. I don’t know how many times I thought ‘Oh, what a good idea, what a good story’, and then ‘so, that’s it?’ or ‘that’s quite unbelievable’ or ‘it couldn’t be more staged’.  But I can see in his prose a trace of medieval stories such as Iwein or Erec or any other chivalric story. I’ve heard that male authors concentrate more on action and female on detailes. I think Flanagan could concentrate more on detailes. I can see the difference between Flanagan’s and J. K. Rowlings books. Harry Potter has many staged situations  which seem very unlikely not to say really stupid. But you just don’t question them. Why? I think because Potter’s world is fuller and has more distractions.

I read 3 and a half book and decided to give a chance to the 4th volume.

Mudlark @mudlark

@whisht

You have just reminded me that I have a copy of The City and the City which I bought ages ago and put aside to read later.  It got buried under a pile of other books, but I have just checked and relocated it, so I have put it back on top of the pile.  I must have read most of Ray Bradbury’s output back in the day and it is, as you say, heady stuff and highly evocative of times and seasons and places which probably never quite were but should have been.  @ichabod , in mentioning a novel by Alfred Bester, has started me on a kick of re-reading some of my old science fiction paperbacks from the late 1950s and 1960s, which has been an interesting experience.

@winston

Your account of excavating the old dump brings to mind a similar experience.  In the village where we lived from the mid 1950s through the 1960s, just up the lane from us, there was an old cottage built in the local tradition of ‘clay lump’ which is pretty much what it sounds like – unfired blocks of clay mixed with chopped straw and perfectly serviceable as long as it is on waterproof foundations and the roof is secure.  At that time much of the village was not connected to the mains water supply, and many households including ours had their own artesian bores or else relied on surface wells.  The old couple who lived in the cottage did not even have piped water indoors, and we used to see the old lady crossing the lane with her bucket to get water from the well in the field opposite.

When they left the cottage was left vacant and my mother and I, being inveterately nosey, went poking round.  The cottage itself was like a time capsule from c. 1850. There wasn’t even a cooking range, just an open grate with a hob to the side and a bar across the chimney with a pot hook from which to hang a cauldron.  Beside the cottage was a half-collapsed open shed containing the remains of a pony trap and an old style horse-drawn farm waggon, and to the rear, in an overgrown orchard, there was a mound which we set about excavating. A lot of the stuff we found dated back at least to the turn of the century and some of it well before.  Among the finds I remember a horn spoon  and an enamel mug commemorating Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee, earthenware jam jars, bottles of the kind with glass marble stoppers, and an almost complete washstand set of washbasin and ewer.  I still have a large stone ware jar or urn which graces my garden as a kind of ornament, and an enamelled go-to-bed candlestick of the kind with a saucer and little handle.

When I moved here in 1988 the garden was a long neglected and overgrown jungle which I set about clearing. At the bottom was a mound which, when I got around to levelling it, proved to be another rubbish dump.  Mysteriously, the objects and the pottery I found in it all seemed to predate the building, which is on a housing estate erected in the mid 1930s. There was even a piece of medieval painted window glass, and I cannot imagine where that came from. As far as I can discover the whole area before it was built over was occupied by market gardens.  I have a  collection of small bottles from this dump – drug bottles, scent bottles and the like, including a wonky-looking Bovril jar which my mother, when I showed it to her, declared to be ‘before my time’, and she was born 1915.  The latest in the collection came up this afternoon.  The corner where the rubbish dump was is where my compost bins now stand, and today I was emptying the bin with last years compost.  At the bottom, partially exposed as a result of the activity of worms which  are attracted to the rotting compost, there was another small hexagonal bottle, completely intact – by the look of it probably a container for some kind of culinary ingredient.

@janetteb  @arbutus

Thanks for your appreciative comments, but you shouldn’t encourage me. I am well aware that I am one of the worst offenders when it comes to straying off topic and at length.  From the fund of stories of the cats I have known I could write a book, but with less than four days to endure before the end of the Who-less drought, now is not the time or place 🙂

Mudlark @mudlark

@mersey

I agree that the current format of Gardener’s world tends to seem cramped and am glad that in this 50th anniversary year we have been promised more one-hour episodes.  The Chelsea Flower show is next month and the BBC generally devote at least an hour and a half a day to that during the week it is on. I don’t know whether you get any access to that. It is pure gardening fantasy, but very watchable.

As regards your pot plant, it all depends on what kind of plant it is.  Some like direct sunlight, others prefer to be slightly shaded, some like a humid atmosphere, others dry, and the amount of water they need also varies according to species.  The commonest fault is overwatering; the compost becomes waterlogged and the roots get no air and so rot, so the general rule is to water only when the surface of the compost in the pot starts to feel dry, and not to leave the pot standing in water.

Anonymous @

@pedant

I’ve been up for hours and didn’t see your post. Thank you!! I blame mum she’s manically searching for Springsteen. I did a bullocking because I said I really liked one of his songs and it wasn’t him, it was Rick Springfield. LOL.

OK. There is a word limit (pays to read emails from the teacher. But on the holiday?) -800 words and two hours with 150 words to bring in. Not much else I know yet.

I think, yes, a protag or antitag. And yes, gotta be a target. Mum mentioned that . I think she added aim  for 600 and you’ll end up at 800. But I have to start. Just do it. Someone said once that it has to be something you know well. So it’s “yours” except my lift isn’t that exciting. Other than throwing up on the London train and being boiled like a lobster at the Coast or screaming my nuts off when mum said “hey a rock fish”  and she meant a different kind of fish -not the ones you stand on that deliver heaps of pain. I blame Jeremy Wade!

Anyway, dunno. I’ll read out and write out what you suggested and @ichabod too.

Thank you very much.

Thane15.

Anonymous @

@pedant

“Thane, give it here. That’s a terrible post” (Puro). All those typos. How embarrassing, Spawn. You degrade the house of Atreus. This is a Forum, not youtube, “bae.”

It’s “bollocks” or “I was given a bollocking” not “bullocks” for starters: the latter are….well, look them up. And it’s “life” not “lift.”

And “dunno” ? Back to school……

Puro

Mudlark @mudlark

Brief footnote on the small bottle I found yesterday.  I have now cleaned off all the encrusted gunk to reveal the legend Booth’s Distillery Ltd.  embossed in the glass along one of the facets. So it is a 60 ml miniature gin bottle, 1930s vintage judging by the images of comparative examples I found via Google.

Joshamus @joshamus

Hey guys, so i am going to the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff this weekend and wondered if any of you guys have been? If you have, would you be able to tell me how pricey the gift shop is? would it be worth buying there or keeping my money and buying some who stuff elsewhere?

Anonymous @

@joshamus

Hey, that’s terrific. I hope you have a good time. I know Mum went there ages ago and then having bought a couple of things found that in Aus, it was actually cheaper. Things on-line often are but then the variety might not be the same?

Maybe check online before you leave. If you have time?

Wish I was with you! Sounds fun.

From Thane.

Joshamus @joshamus

Well being a poor university student, i have to find the cheapest deals! haha!! But I didn’t know you were from Aus @thane15! always wanted to go over there but it’s expensive being…you know…on the opposite side of the planet!

janetteB @janetteb

@joshamus I visited Cardiff ten years ago so my experience may not be overly relevant any more. The shop was expensive from memory but there was a lot of merchandising I had not seen elsewhere. We bought some fridge magnets, being suckers for those “little gift shops on the way out”. Such shops are invariably expensive but they often do sell unique items.

I would advise checking out prices on line first as @thane15 suggested even just to get a general idea and have fun. I really enjoyed the brief time I spent in Cardiff. The castle is worth a visit too. It has a nice Norman keep.

cheers

Janette

Joshamus @joshamus

@janetteb

thanks for your advice, I will have a look before I go. My main concern is classic DVDs as I am collecting those so we will see what I can find!

As for the castle, I don’t think we will have time to go there as we are a 3/4 hour drive away and we plan to go there and back in a day. It’s a bit of a shame as I know it’s a frequent Doctor Who/Torchwood/SJA site, not to mention the fact that I’m an archaeology student so would have been interesting anyway! I wanted to check out some of the other surrounding places as well but I think I will have to keep it to just the Lanto shrine and the millennium centre (or the hub 😉).

@Thane15 and Progenitor of Spawn, aka Puro The Statistical Outlier.

That was very amusing.

Never Mind The Bullucks doesn’t quite sound right, does it?

One can, however, drop a bollock.

@mudlark

Skimming back looking for something else, I just noticed that I referred to The Snow Queen. I did, of course, mean The Snow Goose.

Bit of a difference….

Mudlark @mudlark

@pedant

just noticed that I referred to The Snow Queen

I was baffled by that, I confess, since I couldn’t discern any link with Hans Andersen and Danish fairy tales, still less with a science fiction novel under the same title, and I wasn’t at the time in lateral thinking mode. The Snow Goose, on the other hand, is a reference I do recognise; so now it makes perfect sense 😉

Reverting to the subject of Roman iron working; the Romans may not have developed the blast furnace, but I have just been reading up on the shaft furnaces they were using just a few miles up the road from the focus of my interest.   I am playing catch-up in this regard, because Roman Britain never held much appeal for me as a student. At that time all anyone seemed interested in were the military sites, plus villas which seemed to be studied as a phenomenon without context.  The approach is different now.

@mudlark

There can’t be that many people who would have got the Joan D Vinge reference…

Anonymous @

@pedant

Don’t go at me with statistical outlier at this hour. Builders woke me up. I am gonna go over there and yell at ’em. They were burgled yesterday which meant police at the door. I feel a strange sense of happiness..

Now, they’re playing some shitty music.

Puro

@thane15

In my defence, it was quite a bit earlier when I wrote that. 😉 But very impressed that you didn’t let shameless tautology distract you!

Play some Joy Division at the builders. Atrocity Exhibition, say.

winston @winston

@arbutus  I have been cleaning and researching my treasure all winter.  I found some 1920s art-deco style jars that I am finding lids for and storing dry goods in because the shapes are so cool , the ink wells go into the collection and the rest…..?  I have collected Canadiana since I was about 10 and found an old stoneware crock that was made in Alberta so some of the bottles will be added to that. Who nose?

@jimthefish  Thanks for the link. It never hurts to remind ourselves to be nice to each other.

Anonymous @

@pedant

I went  on a Radiators splurge. Yes, I did. I played “Coming home” and “you give me head.” They went back inside very fast. I kept turning it  up….the amplifier is very good I notice.

Puro *-_-*

ichabod @ichabod

@thane15  You know what?  You did me a favor, bringing this assignment up.  Writing out some sketches of ideas for you has really energized me in my own blankness — the gears are clicking my brain again, and I’m thinking about stories *I* need to be writing right now.  If I can write out a few prompts for you, what’s to prevent me writing some for me?!  So a big load of “thanks” is going the other way right now, to you, young friend.

Mudlark @mudlark

@pedant

There can’t be that many people who would have got the Joan D Vinge reference…

Imagine an irritatingly smug grin  🙂

@thane15

puro, you have builders disturbing the peace, I have the merry men from Anglian Water digging up the road outside to replace the supply pipes.  No music, though, shitty or otherwise – they wouldn’t be able to hear it above the noise of the pneumatic drills and other machinery.  I’m off to the city centre to give my ear drums a rest and for a little retail therapy

Missy @missy

I have been so entertained reading your stories. Here is one of mind.

We were lucky, not only did we have hot/cold  running water, we also had a bathroom and toilet inside the flat. In the winter, I would come home from school, open the front door – key on a string around my neck – and read instructions left by my mother.

Every day I would peel some potatoes, scrape carrots wash and cut up cabbage (if we were having it that night) before cleaning out the grate, and scrunching up newspaper and putting kindling on top followed by some coal (if we were lucky) sometimes I’d even light it.

About once a fortnight, off I’d  trundle pushing an old pram and make for the coal yard, where I’d ask for a CWT  (google it) sack of coke (google that too.) The  ground would be covered in snow, slush and black ice and my feet were covered in chilblains. Mum said I did a good job, especially as I was only eleven years old.

Missy

ichabod @ichabod

@mudlark  Smuggery over here, too, over The Snow Queen — seems a long time ago, now.

ichabod @ichabod

@missy  Sounds like some cold hard days . . . My memory has pretty much edited my young childhood out, but I swear that I remember a guy driving horse and cart showing up once in a while to collect worn out things — “We Buy Old Clothes!” he would call out.  We lived in a tenement on the upper West Side, 102nd Street I think, where “tenements” were brownstone row houses with one or two “shotgun” apartments on each floor, front window on the street, kitchen and fire escape in the back on an air shaft.  We had an actual front “stoop” of stone stairs leading up to the front door of the building, and I also remember the ice cart coming by, and the iceman yanking out big blocks of ice with black iron tongs to lug upstairs to those with “ice boxes” rather than “refrigerators”.  Maybe it was all ice boxes then — this was the early forties in Manhattan.

Sometimes I think I must be remembering something I saw in the movies, just because things are so different now.  For starters, many of the old brownstones are renovated “town houses” now; very posh, no poor kids, no rag man, all vanished to make way for Doctors and financiers and stilly little dogs in rain boots when the weather’s bad..

Mersey @mersey

@mudlark I’ve been thinking about something easy but with flowers to make them blooming again, so it should be a biennal or perennial plant. My windows look on north-west and I have very intensive and really hot sunsets on summer but not very bright sunrises. I will be very grateful for any tips. They predict snow on Easter 🙁

Missy @missy

@jimthefish;

Thank you for that, it’s very true. Unfortunately as you say, I too slip on occasions.

@janettebI do wish Capaldi was staying on for at least one more series after this one.

So do I.  Half of me is looking forward to tomorrow, and half is dreading it. It looks as though he regenerates in the final episode, instead of a Christmas special? Damn and blast!

@missrori: Having survived bullying at Secondary school, I know how it feels.  One girl in particular had it in for me because she didn’t like the way my mother made me dress. Life was a living hell until one day I slapped her face and that was that.  Of course, times have changed, now she would probably threaten me with a knife. Sometimes turning the other cheek doesn’t work.

Missy

Missy @missy

@ichabod: I suppose that they were hard times, but you were used to it. Reading your description of your flat I suddenly got a flashback of Lucy’s place in Doctor Mysterio. The fire escape, the steps up to the front door. We had the top flat in a two storey house over a fishmongers By the time I was sent out to buy coke or coal, we’d been bombed out and rebuilt. I can remember  “the Rag and Bone man” coming round. A chap who sharpened knives, the milk man and the coal man. Poor evil had to lug  a CWT of coal up the stairs and empty the load into a big cupboard on the landing. Those were the day – NOT!  Oh, and by the way, it was coke only that I went to collect in the pram, usually because we’d run out of coal.

Missy

MissRori @missrori

@missy  Sorry to hear you had to put up with bullies too.  And for such a petty reason!  I tried fighting back for a while, but I was the one who got in trouble more often than not.  But turning the other cheek and/or asking for help didn’t work either, and my parents didn’t want to try standing up to the system on my behalf.  All I could do was wait it out.  Luckily I was a good enough student to graduate high school one year early, and I visited a psychologist in the interim.  That whole process was how we found out I was autistic.

Mudlark @mudlark

@missy  @ichabod

I, too, remember the rag-and-bone man who came round with his horse and cart collecting scrap metal, old clothes and other items for what we would now term recycling. I don’t remember if he collected meat bones as well, but he may well have done, presumably for glue making, or grinding for fertilizer.  We used to have a knife grinder come round also, on a bicycle with a grinding wheel attachment on the front.  The coal man too, with his lorry piled with coal sacks, but in our case he just had to carry the sacks to the coal hole by the back door.

At that time most of our food was delivered, as well.  We moved to Norfolk at the beginning of February 1947 when I was four and a half years old,* and for the following eight years we lived in one of an isolated row of small semi-detached houses situated in a hamlet a little over a mile from the village and four miles from Norwich.  I can still remember the butcher who came round with his van once a week, and the ingratiating way he talked: ‘ I’ve a nice bit of lamb for you this week, Mrs — ‘.  Since this was during the period of stringent post-war food rationing we didn’t have a say in the matter; we had to take whatever he had in stock and chose to sell to us, and the ‘nice bit of lamb’ was as like as not to be scrag-end.  Fortunately my mother was a good and resourceful cook, so she could make something appetising from even the most meagre and unpromising ingredients.  Then there was the fishmonger, also once a week, the greengrocer ditto, and the baker twice a week.  For everything else we were registered with a grocer in the city and phoned in our order once a week which they also delivered (luxury of luxuries there was a phone in the house!). When I got to the age of eight or so I was sometimes asked to phone in the order, though it was pretty straightforward: ‘the rations’ – our fairly meagre allowance of butter, cheese, bacon or ham, eggs, sugar and tea – plus any other items we could afford which were not ‘on the ration’ or were ‘on points’. The points system controlled the distribution of many items such as canned goods.  Every household was allocated a certain number of ‘points’ to spend as they chose, and the number of points required for particular items fluctuated according to whether that commodity was currently relatively plentiful or in short supply.  Tins of salmon, for example, were a rare indulgence because generally they ‘cost’ a lot of points.

@missrori

I have been thinking about your question concerning indoor flowering plants and will contact you soon with some suggestions.  Here, though, there is now less than an hour to go before the broadcast of the first episode of season 10, and Who takes precedence for the moment.

* The tale of our removal from Yorkshire to Norfolk is a saga in itself, since in Britain the winter of 1946/47 was one of the coldest and snowiest of the 20th century

wolfweed @wolfweed

I’ve been away for 24 years… but now I’m back. Bring it!

(P.S. – Hello again everyone!)

@wolfweed

Your dinner’s in the dog 😉

Anonymous @

@wolfweed Helloooo  there! Welcome back says me and Mum (Puro , the old one)

Missy @missy

@mudlark: Oh I remember the Ration books well.  the first thing I did when everything came off, was to go and buy a packet of Wriggles chewing gum. It tasted so good.

@wolfweed: Hello there. Could one say of your 24 years absence “What a night?’

Missy

wolfweed @wolfweed

Sorry for the delay…

@pedant – I’m not surprised. Hope the dog’s OK.

@missy – Oh(!) what a night!

@phaseshift  – Yes! ‘It’s about time!’

@blenkinsopthebrave – Thanks – It’s great to be back.

@thane15 (& Puro) – Thanks for the welcome back. Hope you are both well.

Howdy again to everyone else (too many too mention)…

janetteB @janetteb

@wolfweed Indeed it is good to have you back. You have been missed.

Also a welcome back to all our friends who have been absent. It is like a gathering of the clan at the moment.

Cheers

Janette

wolfweed @wolfweed

general election

Tour agent businesswoman or Foamasi spy?

Mersey @mersey

@wolfweed a new Doctress.

Missy @missy

@janetteb: We’re gathering because the Doctor is back and the game is on. 🙂

SeverusOswald @severusoswald

I loved the new episode! Bill seems really sweet. Also the trailer at the end looks full of reminders of Old DW, which is cool. During the last few seconds … that wasn’t the Master, was it?

Missy @missy

@severusoswald: Yes it was. John Simm. More skulduggery from Mr. M.

Missy

Zeyra @zeyra

Hi !

I’m Zeyra (I think you can read that…) And I’m a new member, I apologize now for all the times I will not use correct english, because I am French ^^”

I am watching Doctor Who since a few weeks and I started because I  thought it was a funny show. I am stupid I know. But I don’t regret it anyway ! I am at season 7 ep 8, just met Clara and she seems cool ! I don’t really know what I’m supposed to tell you here but my friends doesn’t watch DW so i need people to talk about it with… Did I found the right place ? Because if not just tell me XD

I really love that show, even if I avoided it during long time, telling myself it wasn’t a good show, but maybe I just wasn’t ready for the awesomess (is that a word ?) of it !! I just hope to make some new friends here 😀

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@zeyra Yes you have found the right place. We are all friends here (most of the time). There are a lot of lovely people here who love Doctor Who and they will be very nice to you, including me. We have people from all over the world. Feel free to say anything you want about the show, or about other shows, or films, or music, if you visit our other threads.

Zeyra @zeyra

@craig Oh thank you ! I’m so happy it’s the right place ! And is there a special place to go if you can’t stop yourself from crying everytime you think about Ten ? Because the episode he died truly broke my heart…

All over the world ? (I wish it was all over the universe but… Yeah, too soon or too fictional I suppose XD) Where are you from then ?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

This is the special place you come if you’re sad about Ten @zeyra. But he didn’t die, he just regenerated into Eleven and now Twelve. He’s the same person, just different body and different personality! It makes perfect sense.

I’m from the UK (I think most members still are) but we have people here from USA, Canada, Australia, Germany etc. And those are the ones that comment. We get visits from people who just want to read what we write from just about every country in the world.

If you want you could write something about Ten on the’Faces of the Doctor’ thread.

Zeyra @zeyra

@craig I don’t understand… Write something about him ? Like what ? Anything I want ? A tribute (is that the correct word ?) ? And I know he didn’t die… But Eleven is not the same, and Twelve won’t (or wont ?) be either. The face, the personality, and Eleven doesn’t say Allons-y and that was French and so lovely to hear I miss it but I will also miss the Geronimo thing XD

Yeah it makes sense… For us, the ones who watched and just knows. But I tried to explain to my best friend and she watched the first episode of 2005dw and she’s still at the stage : “Living… Living plastic Sarah ! How can you believe in that show ? My brain hurts !” And I am very patient and I understand it’s hard at first but she just can’t move on and keep watching…

On the other hand my brother.. (He’s like my Sammy, you know Supernatural ?) My little brother loves the show… He doesn’t watch in order, only knows Nine from the second episode and Eleven, all season 6 and half season 7, just saw Ten in picture and thinks he can have a favorite (Eleven) but I understand why he doesn’t want to watch the seasons where Ten is there, it’s because there is NO. VOSTFR. That is very annoying because at 8pm it’s ok I understand what they’re saying, but when it’s 2am and the doctor is talking fast and with complicated words… My brain is dying and begging me to just go to sleep and I am talking way too much right now I’m sorry I hope you’ll get used to it… I talk a lot. And I can’t stop myself ^^’

sorry ?

And forgive my brother, he’s just a child for now, and I am very proud of his english skills 😀

And I have a very important question : Is my english alright ?

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@zeyra Your English seems great to me, but then I’ve had a few drinks tonight and have been busy setting up the site for tomorrow’s episode as I will be travelling all day! So don’t trust me. But you were right first time, it’s won’t not wont.

Feel free to write a tribute on the “Faces of the Doctor” thread if you want – you don’t have to, just if you’d like to. We love that kind of stuff, hearing from proper fans.

Zeyra @zeyra

@craig Yeah I think I will, but only when my heart will have stopped hurting so much each time I think about Ten. It’s just too much right now, I hope it will get better with time, but right now it’s hell… I mean real life really became hell !

For exemple : in the street, I sometimes stop because I think I saw the Tardis or Eleven (at least I don’t have hallucinations of Ten) but it doesn’t last, it’s just be, being really really tired and way too much obsessed XDD and I was in town with my friends yesterday and we went to a place where there was three statues.. And I could look at all of them at the same time and I became more and more nervous, so much that at some point my bff asked me “Ok, why are you staring at the satues and why are you afraid ?” and I tried to explain the Weeping Angels. Oh, I truly tried, and that just finished by my friends thinking the Whovians are weirdos scared of statues, and ready to jump in a blue box with a mad man who has two hearts… I laughed but.. Really ? Why does everyone around me make fun of that show ? What the point ? Can’t they see how amazing and magic all that stuff is ? Can’t they see how beautiful it all is ? It makes me so sad and angry when they start laughing at what I’m so desesperatly trying to explain. Like : “how can you cry at the death of a character you hate and wanted dead ?!”

Because doctor who. And because the Master…. Wait why no one ever asked Master who ?

And I still don’t understand how doctor who can make me cry so much. I don’t cry easily even if I watch and read really sad stuff, but doctor who, since Rose on Bad Wolf beach, is the show that made me cry the most. My mom is starting to worry about me because I seem depressed and eat less when an episode go wrong. When Ten died I just didn’t ate dinner XDD Wait is that the kind of thing I can write about him ? How I reacted ? How much I miss him ? But I miss him and at the same time i kinda like Eleven too… I didn’t know how to choose a favorite, then I remembered : TIMELORD ! Two hearts ! So it’s ok if I have two favorites ! And I can still live with only one heart beating, not for long but it will be ok, Martha or Amy will make it beating again <3 😀 <3

My friends also thinks that I was sane before I watched Doctor Who. And I can assure you I wasn’t. In real life I am just a little better than the Doctor at interacting normaly with people. But I don’t lick things. Not all the time.

I really wanted Eleven to like the cube during that episode uh… Invasions of the cubes ? I don’t remember its name but it’s the one when the doctor live a year with the Ponds.

Is there a place to talk about Superwholock here ?

Anonymous @

@zeyra

Welcome <rubs gleefully>  a new member! Love your avatar and picture.

If you want to talk Sherlock, go to the Home Page and there’ll be pictures with links for the last 3 episodes of Sherlock. If you want to discuss Sherlock, particularly those eps, perhaps just there (I’m no moderator though -it’s just that a few members may have not seen the recent Sherlock for various reasons)?

Great to see you writing such good English. I speak and write a little Czech but most people in Oz (where I’m from) speak just one. A friend of mine, from Sweden, tells me that all Swedish children start learning English at age 5 and continue until they’re 17. Her English is very good, as is yours.

My son, who is 15, also likes Supernatural -a bit gory in places and a bit ‘sexy’ but he fast forwarded those portions. B)

Kindest,

Puro (his mother!)

@craig! Our emperor, you be drinking? Tsk tsk! No, seriously, enjoy! <maybe I can have a shandy this evening> I can’t hold hard liquor anymore. I had a triple Baileys two weeks ago and don’t recall how I got back to the hotel room. On other Class 8 medications, I’m totally fine! (burp).

Viewing 50 posts - 701 through 750 (of 1,003 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (8)’ is closed to new replies.