On The Sofa (9)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (9)

This topic contains 1,124 replies, has 73 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 1,125 total)
  • Author
    Missy @missy

Has anyone heard from Thane16, or Puro lately? I hope all is well.

Missy

Craig @craig
    Emperor

This just made laugh. Thought you might get a kick out of it.

Missy @missy

Love it @craig.

Missy

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Hello, and seasons greetings to one and all.

Just dashing through to post a word of thanks to @wolfweed and post a question about a question.

Wolfweed posted a link a while ago about pre-screenings of Twice Upon A Time up here in t’frozen North. MrsPhaseshift seized the opportunity to apply for tickets and only bloody did it! We go today to Bradford for a showing.

To explain while I’m feeling a bit giddy, I studied Chemistry in Bradford between 88 and 91. I was there at the ‘death’ of Doctor Who’s original run. in that year (89) I met a blazing redheaded maths student who I canoodled with at the Odeon cinema on many a date. The cinema closed later that decade and fell into some disrepair. The blazing redhead was MrsP.

The old building is undergoing a regeneration at the moment and we’ll be present for the first cinema showing for quite a while. It’s going to be a peculiar experience for both of us, I think. Personal Time Travel.

It also sounds as if we have guests with Steven Moffat and Peter Capaldi turning up and a Q&A thing. So my question is really ….. What question would you ask? I’m happy to ask the question you’ve always wanted to ask if I get the opportunity.

Anyway here is a news item about the screening and the cinema.

Hope to have a bit of time between Christmas and New Year to go back to fill in the blanks about series 10 which I had to leave because I was so far behind.

See you all after the show!

Missy @missy

@phaseshift

How wonderful I do envy you. SM and PC.

As for questions, I have too many, but thank you for asking.

Enjoy the show.

Missy

Mudlark @mudlark

@phaseshift

Oh, lucky, lucky you!

Sadly, I will not have the opportunity to see Twice Upon a Time until the 26th. My youngest brother and sister-in-law are staying with me at the moment, but on Christmas day itself we will all be travelling down to Suffolk to join my other brother and family, including niece, nephew and great niece, for a traditional Christmas dinner –  and, since they are not Who fans, I will have to possess myself in patience.  But the day after that my visitors will have to join me in watching the recording or else go and occupy themselves elsewhere for the duration while I indulge, no doubt with something fortifying to drink and a box of tissues to hand. For now, all that remains for me to do in the way of preparation is to make a large batch of Florentines – my annual seasonal specialty – and then I can relax.

So I wish everyone here a very Happy Christmas, with much merriment, good company, plenty of good things to eat and drink, and a respite from all that is worrying in the outer world; and of course a happy/sad viewing of Capaldi Doc’s final appearance.

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Wishing everyone on this lovely Forum a splendid Xmas.  We will be taking Christmas to mother-in-law who has dementia and mobility problems – which means I’ll be cooking in her kitchen rather than my own, which is somewhat stressful.  I seem to recall last year saying to the kids ‘I’m never doing this again, you are my witnesses’ but of course I am doing it again!  We will be watching Who on the day but there will be disruptions, distractions and interruptions so may need to re-watch after Boxing Day (which is my Dad’s 90th birthday, so we will be with my family all day celebrating that event). Will look forward to sharing thoughts with you all once everyone has had the chance to watch.  It will, as @mudlark says, be happy/sad, and I anticipate that I will be a blubbering mess! Merry Xmas and all good wishes for 2018.

winston @winston

I am here in snowy northern Canada feeling slightly jealous over @phaseshift and his very lucky Mrs. going to see PC and his last episode. A happy/sad event. But his romantic story made me happy!
    @mudlark You seem to have a lovely day in store for you and sometimes, just sometimes mind you, Doctor Who must wait.
    @cathannabel I hope your day is not too stressful. Taking Christmas to your mom-in-law is a very kind thing to do and having taken care of both my parents I understand just how stressful it can be. I send my wishes that your day go well and that you don’t need too many tissues for the Doctor. I say that after buying an industrial sized box for the show.
    I will be going to my sons house for the day,weather permitting (a phrase often heard in this winter wonderland) but I will be home in time to put on my Tardis slippers and my 4th Doctors scarf and dust off my Tardis mug for tea. I will charge up my 11th Doctord sonic screwdriver and set out a plate of Christmas goodies and then…….sit down and watch. Cry of course, laugh I hope.
    To all my friends in this cozy little Whoniverse – Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays or as I celebrate” Halfway out of the Dark Day!” I look forward to discussing the show with you all.

winston @winston

@craig It looks like that was some office party eh. I have looked and felt like that a few times. Thank you for the pic and for the site and have a nice and comfy Christmas.

Missy @missy

@cathannabel:

You aren’t the only blubbering mess! That’s why I shan’t watch until Wednesday mroing or afternoon. as I said, there is no way I’m going to bed happy and tired after watching the end of an incredibly wonderful series.

Missy

janetteB @janetteb

Happy Christmas all and best wishes for 2018. We host the family Christmas lunch here. Sadly we are a diminishing family, now down to ten as the aunt is not well enough to travel. Still the house is decorated within an inch of it’s existence, the pantry is overflowing with seasonal delicacies, mince pies, pepperkaken, Stollen, fruit cake, pudding, and the fridge would bulge if it were physically possible. I am sitting for a few minutes to consult my “to do” list before returning to the fray.
    We will be watching Dr Who on “Second Christmas” in two days time when we have our own household celebration, a tradition that began when my father-in-law insisted that there would be no more presents exchanged. Boxing Day is cinema day in keeping with another household tradition, so I would prefer to leave Dr Who until the next day so the enjoyment of it is not clouded by the memories of the film we have just watched, (Not sure that would be a problem this year, the film in question being the latest Star Wars installment), and to spread out the treats. Santa is delivering English jelly babies in honour of that event.
    so I hope that everyone here is relaxing, preparing for the big event tomorrow and has tissues on standby for the real event of this season, the Dr Who Christmas Special.
    Regards
    Janette

Whisht @whisht

Merry Xmas everyone!

Hope all of you are able to enjoy time away from the daily grind and spend it doing something special.

I’ll probably be watching the episode on the day, but will probably rewatch it before making many comments.
    Thanks again to @craig for maintaining this place and thanks to everyone for reading, posting, discussing and sharing.
    Here’s hoping 2018 brings even more to chew over!

Whisht @whisht

syzygy @thane16

Hey folks.

thirty minutes to Christmas and as I had a looong sleep I may stay up and lasso the moon!

Yes, we watched A Wonderful Life and yes I did complain initially and say “Black and white? No!!”

But I loved it.

Happy Christmas Who-Fans and love your card @whisht. Awesome clever.

I can barely attach an email and everybody says: “oh, you’ll pick it up, you’re a bloke, you’re bound to!” 🙁

Born in the wrong decade.

From the Puro family

syzygy @thane16

And happy Christmas to people who aren’t Who Fans too. Because some people may have people in their homes who aren’t Who fans like us and that’s OK.

Is ‘fan’ short for ‘fanatic’? Coz I wasn’t sure that was a good thing.  If it is short for fanatic, then I think I am one!

Thane16 and the fam.  00xx00

syzygy @thane16

@phaseshift I think I missed your show tickets. Congratulations. That’s so beast!

Me? I’d ask Mr Moffat “when did you really absolutely know you wanted to be showrunner for Doctor Who?”

That’d be my question. It’s probably a silly one and he’s probably answered it before.

Have a fab time!

From the Puro Aussie Crew

Whisht @whisht

Thanks @thane16 – that’s kind of you but as with any artwork in my avatars or whatever, its from a galaxy long ago and far far away!

Maybe when I retire in a few decades (which may never happen as I have no savings!) I’ll pick up the brushes again. Until then, I like the taste of beer and wine too much, which kinda screws up drawing.

#misplacedpriorities

😉

I missed getting back to @phaseshift too, but couldn’t think of a good question. The best come from young kids, so hope some of them got a chance (and no matter how childish I can be, sadly I can’t think like a kid!).

Really glad to hear you and your family gearing up for Christmas – truly hope you have a fantastic time!

XAD4 @xad4

I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Doctor-Who-Christmas-Special-Day tomorrow,

and leave this here:

XAD4

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

To everyone: I’m dashing between services (that’s what comes of having Christmas Eve on a Sunday), but just to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, and a happy Who-watching session – whenever it may be. 🙂

Hiker @hiker

@xad4

Thanks for posting that!

Merry Christmas!

Hiker

DIrishB @dirishb

Merry Christmas!

ScaryB @scaryb

A very happy Christmas to all my fellow Whovians.

Personally I can’t wait to hang with the first again, I’m going to shed a tear or two of goodbye to the magnificent twelfth… and I really can’t wait to meet the thirteenth. (Will be timeshifting tho, so will catch up with you all in a couple of days (NO internet for me till then!!)).

I can’t think of any better role model for anyone (young boys in particular) than a hero who is so completely unafraid of his feminine side that he’s happy to regenerate into a female for a while.

(I’ve been AWOL for a while, I’m afraid, and it’s going to take a while to catch up with all the postings, but particular thanks to @bluesqueakpip and @cathannabel for the recent blogs and to @juniperfish and @jimthefish for keeping me alive in the alt universe by tagging me! And a mega thank you as ever to the mighty @craig for setting up and maintaining this great little space (that is definitely “bigger on the inside” )).

*throws some Christmassy glitter, some jelly babies and some jaffa cakes on the sofa*

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Happy new Doctor Who episode day everyone!

And Christmas offcourse.

I have an obscene amount of Gin, I suspect a plot to get me passed out drunk before Who is on so they can watch something else. So just for now, I’m sticking to whiskey in spiced tea,

Anonymous @

Hi, my name is Karen Marie. I just watched the Doctor Who Christmas special. I don’t know how I feel about the Doctor being a woman. But I always hate to see The Doctor change. And then the new one always wins me over. If anybody out there wants too, please post your opinion about the new change. Oh yeah, I just joined so thanks for having me.

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift – thanks so much for sharing – I hope it lived up to expectations. Time travelling with the Doctor is always special, I’ve found. (The Christmas episode just took me back to being an excited 7 year old, watching weekly, with my mum (and that is special indeed))

@xad4 – thanks for sharing, I love the Doctor Puppet stuff… that was very special… “thanks for the stars…” *sniff…damn grit in the eye!!*

@miapatrick – Ha! Hope you hung in there! Raising a GnT to you 🙂

@Karenmarie Welcome. As A Doctor Who fan since the very first episode (which makes me very old, but hopefully, only in body, not in mind), some advice (if you’ll forgive the presumption) – don’t fear the change, just hang on, and enjoy the ride. Be open minded, be kind 🙂

ScaryB @scaryb

And special waves to @thane16 (and your mum) and @whisht (love the card, you talented so and so!). Missed you guys 🙂

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Well, like @scaryb <waves hello!> I have been laying low for quite a while, but the last episode of Capaldi required a response. So, off to the appropriate thread…

syzygy @thane16

@scaryb

Hey! It’s good to see you back on the Sofa or couch sprinkling all the gold & glittterrr.

Meow!!

I haven’t watched the episode as yet and neither has mum -she’s doing OK but not last night so we are hoping the new DVD player has worked and taped it otherwise we will be watching it on the ABC on a tiny screen.

@xad4 good to see you around here again. Long missed said Puro, my mum. And @miapatrick that sounds HILARIOUS! Also, Miss Mia, you helped me on my Romeo and Juliet essay and in the end I got one of 2 A’s in my class of 30. The last piece was a monologue based on a Aus song and I had an A+ for that and I have to thank @tardisblue and @pedant for the assistance or reminders. ANd others too, who I probably missed. It’s the non-alcoholic egg nog I think. It didn’t taste all that good 🙂

@karenmarie welcome to you from me and mum -I’ve taken the training wheels off so it’s really me saying hello all by myself. It’s good you’ve joined. You’ll have a good time here especially on the music thread and the sofa.

@bluesqueakpip Doing God’s work on a Sunday -and would it be three masses? Because of midnight mass? Not sure if you ‘do’ Midnight mass.

Cheers to all including @janetteb and @missy on the Aussie shores.

syzygy @thane16

@blenkinsopthebrave

Me and Mum are waving hello to you all the way over and above in Canada. After Dad and I visited Adelaide which didn’t have humidity and even when it was 35 it felt like 25 Celsius, made me seriously think of living in South Australia or going somewhere colder. Dad used to walk the ‘beat’ in the London Met and says “get orf the grass, youre talking cobblers: it be Vincent Price.”

What? 🙂

I Have NO idea about that: is it code or slang?

Anyway, I realise Mr Blenkinsop, I should’ve written; “Mum and I” not “me and Mum” 😉

We wish you all the best for the Christmas break & a happy & contended 2018. I also hope you enjoyed the Christmas special which we haven’t watched as yet.  And happy NY also to @hiker and @dirishb -I like both your avatars/pictures.

@craig wishing you the best for the new year  hoping it brings new & interested members in Jodie Whittaker’s amazing role. I wonder how she’s feeling? Nervous, excited? Big responsibility on her shoulders and I think her shoulders are good enough to hold this antique role  – antique isn’t the word I was looking for but I mean she’s definitely up to the challenge.

Also to @arbutus and family.

Cheers, Thane16

DIrishB @dirishb

<p style=”text-align: center;”>@thane16 thanks. Pic of me a buddy drew for a satirical webcomic for a forum we frequented. Been using it as avatar for years. :)</p>

ScaryB @scaryb

*waves back* at @thane16 and your mum. Hope you get the big screen working, it’s worth it. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. (Have another jelly baby (and some more glitter, heehee) to keep you going).

And to @blenkinsopthebrave, my fellow original, veteran (ie ancient and crumbly… but we were there at the beginning!) Whovian! Hope all’s good with you in the western provinces 😉

janetteB @janetteb

Hi @scaryb Good to hear from you and @blenkinsopthebrave over in icy cold Canada. Mid thirties here and the upstairs air-con isn’t working so the boys are sweltering at the mo. @thane16 I hope you Mum is better soon. Not fun being ill over Christmas. Please pass on my regards to her and I hope you all get to watch the special together.
    @phaseshift, I hope you and partner enjoyed the special screening. Having finally seen the episode I am certain you did. I thought it was near to perfection myself.
    We are about to embark upon Christmas Day mk II which is when we exchange gifts between us, the immediate family that is, eat all the left overs, though there was not much left of the Turkey this year so an emergency run to the Supermarket will be required which breaks our house rule of no shopping over the Christmas period, other than on line, Steam sales of course.
    Anyways boys are crawling down stairs, or more melting down the stairs so I must away. The day starts with cooked breakfast, though it is certainly more in the late brunch terrain now.

Cheers to all
    Janette

@thane16

Salutations! And warm greetings to Mum. Given the choice between Adelaide and somewhere colder, I recommend somewhere colder!

@scaryb

“ancient and crumbly”…and loving it! My ‘western provinces’ version of the Western Isles is just great. Thanks for asking. There is nothing quite like living on an island. Have you seen “I Know Where I’m Going”(Michael Powell, 1945) ? If you have, you will know what I mean. If you haven’t then you must watch one of the most perfect movies ever made.

waves to @janetteb. Mid-30s? Yikes! Fortunately, my part of Canada is protected from the worst blasts of winter.

Lynn @thecriptonite

Thanks for the add xx I’m new to your forum (the only tv related one I’m on) … born in 1969 I was a behind the cushion watcher of Dr who and tbh I still go to grab it !!!! I look forward to getting to know you all as long as there’s no cybermen on here … my worst nightmare lol xx take care

janetteB @janetteb

@blenkinsopthebrave and @thane16 Received a history of S.A today which was aptly titled, “Under the Burning Sun”. We consider mid thirties to be fairly average summer temperature. It don’t get hot until the mercury gets over forty. Oh for snow.. and islands are wonderful. I often wish I could relocate to one of the remote Hebrides especially when the overnight low is over twenty but I suspect I handle the heat better than I would the cold.

@lynn Welcome. No cybermen about. I found the MOndasian version pretty scary, more nightmarish than the more recent, metal iterations.

Cheers
    Janette

winston @winston

@janetteb and @thane16 I could use a bit of your heat over here in Ontario Canada. We are having an icy and snowy winter with the temp. outside right now sitting at -23C with a wind chill making it feel closed to -30C. Brrrr. The windows are frosty and the dog does not want to go outside for very long, nor do I. It is so cold the the snow squeaks and crunches and snaps with every step.So a trade would be so nice. @blenkinsopthebrave My daughter is living on the west coast of Vancouver Island and she also escapes the extreme cold but lots of rain. Maybe I should start spending winters there.Meanwhile our east coast is having extreme storms with crazy winds knocking out power and damaging homes.
    Oh well they say Canadians are obsessed with weather but when it impacts your life so much you can’t help it. Anyway to all my friends here-stay warm where its cold and cool where its hot and happy if you are right in the middle.

Missy @missy

@xad4;

Thank you for that lovely video. Trouble is you’ve just made me cry again.

@karenmarie>

Hello there and welcome. *waves*

I one of the very few who does not want a female Doctor. Enough said.

@thane16:

Try Tasmania, nice and cool there. That’s where we should have gone. *sigh*

@thecriptonite:

Welcome to you too. *waves*

Missy

Anonymous @

@missy

Thanks for your opinion. I was leaning in the same direction and wanted to know if I was alone. I am really hoping that she wins me over because I didn’t like Peter Capaldi that much.

Anonymous @

@scaryb

I’m late replying, just figured out how too.(smile) Yes I loved the Christmas Special. Would have loved it if the doctor Changed into a shockingly handsome guy like Captain Jack, That would be a hoot. But I always love it when two or more doctors are together.

nerys @nerys

@missy I don’t think you are as alone in your opinion as you might think (or maybe the opponents are more vocal). Earlier today I made the mistake of checking out Doctor Who‘s Facebook page. Not pretty.

I’m trying to keep an open mind. As I’ve said many times before, I often find myself resisting the regeneration casting changes … only to feel foolish afterward, when I discover how much I enjoy the “new” Doctor. In the beginning, I wasn’t wild about Peter Capaldi, but he quickly won me over. I was even less enthusiastic about Matt Smith, and boycotted the series till the entire fifth season came and went, and I was watching a pre-Christmas special Doctor Who marathon. I loved the Peter Pan whimsy of his introduction, and was kicking myself for having a closed mind. But, better late than never. So I remind myself of that every time a regeneration rolls round.

For me, the issue has nothing to do with whether the Doctor is male or female. It’s how the part is written, and if the actor is up to the task. If both of those things are good, then I will continue enjoying the series. If either part is off, then I won’t love the series so much. But neither has anything to do with the sex of the character. Last night I rewatched “Black Water” and “Death in Heaven” … and was struck anew at how delightfully layered Michelle Gomez’s portrayal of Missy was. Proving that the Master needn’t be inherently male. And if that’s the case, then why must the Doctor be male?

I realize that for most, this question doesn’t have a rational answer, because our love for the series isn’t imbedded in the rational, but in the emotional. So it’s hard to pinpoint why we want and need certain things from whatever it is we love, and why we feel we’ve been failed when those things don’t deliver, or the payoff isn’t what we expect.

Anonymous @

@nerys

To Nerys,  That is so funny.  I had a similar feeling. I thought Matt Smith was too young, but he got to me when I saw how well he and Karen Gillan played off each other. And I think Karen was one of the best companions yet. I loved her scream when she and The Doctor jumps down some God-awful hole together.

You have a point about Missy. She played the heck out of The Master. She definitely had me scared of her. I loved her last episode when she and John Simm were together. I must admit though, I don’t know which one of them I like the best.

Your last paragraph about our love for the series being embedded in emotion was very well put. You have a way with words.(smile).

nerys @nerys

@karenmarie Thank you for your compliment! I do enjoy writing.

Like you, I enjoyed the camaraderie between Matt Smith’s Doctor and Karen Gillan’s Amy. They had a delightful rapport, and adding Rory to the mix provided another neat payoff. Instead of turning Amy into another Rose, they neatly dodged that trap by having Amy choose Rory. So the tension was there, but then relieved so that we could get on with the business of the Doctor and his companions having adventures together (rather burying it all in romantic fixations).

But I was so taken, first by Chris Eccleston’s Doctor, then even more with Tennant’s, that I couldn’t imagine either being matched or improved upon. How wrong I was!

Anonymous @

@nerys

To nerys. Yeah I am still mad at Christopher Eccleston for leaving so soon. Sometimes I go to my DVD stash and binge his whole season. What a way to re-introduce the Doctor Who series back into the wonderful land of TV.

… I love to write, too!

Anonymous @

Can anyone out there help a technophobe out? I am trying to have a picture show up when I write in this forum. I clicked on change profile photo and put a picture on there. It shows up that I did it but I don’t see a photo yet.

Does it take twenty four hours to show up? Or should I have applied my picture to the other choices- cover photo or avatar photo?

ScaryB @scaryb

@karenmarie – it’s usually pretty instant as far as I know, add it to “profile photo”.  Our Emperor in Chief (aka Head Geek), @craig will advise 🙂

Anonymous @

@scaryb … Thank you.

ichabod @ichabod

I hope everyone had a warm and happy Christmas — mine was quiet and relaxing, good company and good food (except for an oddly congealed spinach thing — but the lemon squares made up for that).  It’s weirdly warm here in the US Southwest, for this time of year; dry as a bone.

My sister’s dog has shown a talent for tool-using: the yard is full of goat-heads, horrible little thorny things that inject a bit of venom along with normal pain when you step on them (everything in the high desert grows thorns or poison etc., so hungry critturs won’t graze or eat them). Little four-spined goat heads stick, naturally, in the pads of the dog’s feet, so she’s is forever coming in and biting out the goat heads (which she spits on the floor, naturally)(the dog does, not my sister; she steps on them).  A couple of days ago, hearing an odd noise (we both inherited annoyingly sensitive hearing from our father), my sister looked outside and saw Phoebe, the dog, scraping the goat heads off her pads by dragging her feet across the wire of the half-high chain link fence bordering the yard.

I knew Phoebe was unusually smart, but I’m impressed.

nerys @nerys

@karenmarie Yup, I loved Chris Eccleston, too. Thinking back to Steven Moffatt’s first two Doctor Who episodes, I decided to rewatch “The Empty Child” and “The Doctor Dances” … brilliant!

Anonymous @

@nerys

O.M.G. Nerys, I love those two episodes too. Sometimes I watch them instead of a movie when I’m up having insomnia. I use to toss and turn all night until I knock myself out. Now I make that time me time and treat myself to a movie or a good book.

I also like to do that with Matt Smith’s The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon. The first two episodes in season six. I really like that they were in America.

@winston

The west coast of Vancouver Island is spectacular–partly because it is, well, sort of rugged, with the rain that comes in from the Pacific. But a wonderful, spectacular place. We live on the east coast, which is more protected — or should I say “wimpy”?

@scaryb and @janetteb

I was trying to think of an image that captured why it was, well, “brilliant” to live on an island, and this is the one I came up with. I suppose it it is about the ability to move from island to island.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 1,125 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (9)’ is closed to new replies.