Spyfall part 1

Home Forums Episodes The Thirteenth Doctor Spyfall part 1

This topic contains 89 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Dentarthurdent 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Craig @craig
    Emperor

Spyfall

A Happy New Year to all, and Happy new series!

This New Year’s Day episode kicks off the long-awaited second series with Jodie Whittaker as The Doctor.

I don’t know much about this opener apart from the fact that it’s the first of a two-parter – which is an interesting choice.

In a very obvious nod to James Bond, intelligence agents around the world are under attack, possibly by alien forces or a reclusive tech billionaire (played by national treasure Lenny Henry), or both. MI6 turns to the only people who can help – the Doctor and friends. Another national treasure, Stephen Fry, is the MI6 spymaster who gives them their mission.

They then travel the globe looking for answers and attacks come from all sides. Earth’s security rests on the team’s shoulders.

This supposedly has very high production values and is very enjoyable. Possibly the best Jodie episode so far. Fingers crossed! Let us know what you thought below.

Well I think we’re going to have to give Chibbers credit for a World-class fake-out…

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Omg omg omg talk about fakeout is right. But I ain’t spilling the beans just yet to let those who haven’t had their chance to watch the episode  a chance to catch up

Julianantony @julianantony

Permission to SQUEEE!!

And let’s just say they managed to keep that bloody quiet

The-Last-Prydonian @the-last-prydonian

A decent opening episode let down for some one or two moments of the SJW/feminist crap that has come to be expected now with the series and a scene involving the Doctor stating the blatantly obvious. It is however not without it’s surprises. One in particular that won’t disappoint.

@the-last-prydonian

An interesting comment let down by some puerile whinging about SJW/feminist crap that make you look like the worst Youtube fuckwit.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@the-last-prydonian

But you had a special line, all for you. Didn’t you notice?

@pedant
    I now want to re-watch so I can spot the clues – agreed, it was a world-class fakeout. But Dracula is in twenty five minutes.

Lol I have the same dilemma, though to be fair there was a point about half way through where I thought where the hell is this going. There are clues there as  I did partially twig to the big reveal just not the identity of the foe until just before it was revealed.

General observation: still let down a bit by some lacklustre editing – scenes cut just a beat late (better to be early, as a rule) and a couple of “spell it out for the inattentive” moments that I suspect are forced but those-up-above rather than wanted.

And, of course, we know where Sacha Dahwan met the Doctor before…

Miapatrick @miapatrick

I’d heard rumours of cyber men – possibly from a promise of ‘old enemies’, but not a whisper of the Master.

I think the aliens are cybermen, especially what with the Master and all.

So has the Master switched right back? I’ll be concerned if historically the closest the Master comes to redemption is when they’re a woman. But you never, never, know with the Master.

Mudlark @mudlark

One worth a rapid re-watch, I think; and I certainly didn’t see *that* coming – though with hindsight the clues were there.

It appears, also, that they have at last relocated the Tardis universal wardrobe, which is a bonus.

@julianantony

How is your squeeing going? ‘cos you’ll need to get it out of your system by Sunday!

winston @winston

I never see anything coming so I was totally surprised and really quite happy that I was. I am still not sure who the shiny  guys are although I have some theories or more like wild guesses.The spy gadgets were fun and the tuxes were cool as was the Doctors bow-tie .So the Doctor once spent 123 years in the outback?

There was as usual too much to take in with one viewing  and I will rewatch it again. It was a great cliffhanger and I can hardly wait till Sunday.

TheCaptain @thecaptain

I think that the master will be inbetween Simm and Gomez

Julianantony @julianantony

@pedant

Def need a re watch before Sunday. So glad shes finally got better writing. Still a lil bit of over explanation but a drop dead reveal. Loving the nod to Sims manic and hilariously psychotic Master. Excited hand clapping in a villain, always good.

BadWolfAlice @badwolfalice

Hi everyone, I’m new here. This was a great start to the series, easily one of the best Chibnall-penned episodes yet. That reveal at the end caught me totally off guard!

I hope next episode they give some indication of whether this version of the Master comes after Missy (meaning she survived in The Doctor Falls), or if this is a previous incarnation of the Master that we just haven’t seen before. If it’s the former, I’ll be disappointed if they ignore Missy’s character development from series 10. Still, I’m glad we got a glimpse of what I hope is the Master’s TARDIS (the flying house).

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@badwolfalice a few people – like @thecaptain above have speculated that this Master comes between Simm and Gomez, which I think might make sense. I think the aliens are Cyberman related at least, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a Master quite so instantly, frantically determined (or claiming to be) to kill the Doctor. The master usually likes to play with his food. Which is why he often goes hungry. Missy was, yes, becoming redeemed when she died, but she started that series, evil as anything, but friendly, in her fashion, towards the Doctor. It would make sense if something happened between the Simm death and her arrival.

As I recall, memories are shaky after Timelords meet their past selves, but this Master might be extremely angry and wanting the Doctor dead once and for all without quite realising why.

That said, Missy’s final redemption occurred when she was with her past self. So by that logic, the Master might not remember it enough. I’m not sure I want an endless cycle of the Master’s redemption, but nor do I want it to only happen when the Master is female. But then again, it’s not about what I want.

But we don’t know what he’s up to. No good, I’m quite sure. But ‘everything is a lie’? Is that to do with the place the light creatures come from, the place where Yaz and the Doctor were sent to, something to do with reality and dimensions? or is it about what they observed in this first episode on earth? Or something about the Doctor’s life?

I think we’re getting an arc.

MissRori @missrori

The AV Club review (which was positive) is right that as with most kickoffs to AG Who multi-parters this was largely puttering about in a flashy way before a last-moment reveal for the cliffhanger (the timing for Yaz and Ryan’s argument about her sister was weird), but it was a big reveal and I agree it was nice to have one actually kept secret by the BBC for a change!  Having read interviews with Chibnall I was not surprised that they finally brought Time Lords back into the action even this soon, but I was surprised that they got to the Master as soon as they did.

The main issue I have going into Part Two is that there is a lot of stuff that has to be explained in 50 minutes, and I’m not meaning stuff about how the Master came back, which number they are, etc. — it’s the whole glowy-alien thing and what their deal is, why their plot is So Much Worse than other plots, and all that.  It will be interesting to see how that’s balanced with having to reintroduce the Master concept to those viewers who just got on board with Thirteen, or missed the Twelve era, etc.  Also, the “everything you know is a lie” thing could open things up to a lot of potential twists in Part Two.  I won’t go into the broached theories I’ve seen but it should be interesting! 🙂

(That said, was I the only one not impressed by the plane crash cliffhanger?  Twelve alone dealt with similar situations more than once!)

@miapatrick That’s a good point, I thought it was a bit unusual for the Master to directly try to kill the Doctor in this way. It would definitely make sense for him to be angry with the Doctor if he comes directly after Simm’s Master, as you say.

Now I may be wrong but I think Time Lords do remember meeting their past selves, just not their future selves. So Simm’s Master won’t remember meeting Missy, but she will remember meeting him. So if Missy did survive after The Doctor Falls, she should still remember the events of that episode, which makes it seem unlikely that this new Master comes directly after her, otherwise he would have no apparent reason to betray the Doctor again. Hopefully we’ll find out on Sunday.

I have no idea what the ‘everything you know is a lie’ comment means either. Definitely seems like there’ll be a proper story arc this series.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@miapatrick and @badwolfalice

Another possible suggestion is that this Master does come after Missy, but ‘everything you know is a lie’ includes what he’s doing right now. Not my idea – someone on T’Other place suggested it.

I think either is possible – a few people have noted that the Dhawan Master seems very much riffing off the Simm Master’s early style. Is this because he comes immediately after the Simm Master? Or is it because he’s post Missy, getting less uh, bonkers – and trying to remember how to act crazy.

In other words, ‘I’m bonkers, me, look how bonkers I am’ is an act. Because whatever the Glowy Monsters are doing, they could be spying on everyone at any time.

[And a slightly later thought.] He establishes himself as ‘O’, gets fired by MI6 and then promptly retreats to the middle of the Australian Outback. Where he’s completely alone, so moving from Missy’s Doctor imposed isolation to self-imposed isolation. A possible hint that he is still progressing?

Okay, we’ll probably see Sunday whether he’s reverted to full on evil, but if not – I was suggesting last series that Yaz’s arc could easily be about her tendency to go all ‘greatest good of greatest number.’ What if the Dhawan Master is trying to be good, but is following the ‘greatest good of greatest number’ Time Lord morality? So he’ll tissue compress MI6 analysts and arrange for the assassination of C because he’s trying to save the billions and billions of people on Earth?

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but was it me or did the doctor seem to know where she had been transported to as soon as she saw it

TwelveIsMyDoctor @twelveismydoctor

Hi all. I’m new here although I’ve been lurking for a few months.

@devilishrobby I thought the same thing. My first thought was that she (and Yaz before her) had landed in the Gallifrey matrix (where deceased Time Lords go). Maybe that’s why Yaz was returned…she’s not a Time Lord. Crazy bonkers theory here; would the Master have been “uploaded” to the matrix when he/she died in The Doctor Falls? Maybe he found a way to escape and bring all the past Time Lords with him. That’s who the creatures are – deceased Time Lords.

Someone tell me where the holes are in my theory because I’m sure there are gigantic ones!

I thought the place that Yaz and the Doctor were taken to was a visual representation of their DNA. We’ve seen that the spies who were captured by those aliens had their DNA changed, and Lenny Henry’s was only 93% human, so I think Yaz also had her DNA altered somehow while she was in there.

@devilishrobby

Definitely not just you.

@badwolfalice   @twelveismydoctor

I thought they had a “neurones firing” vibe. Makes me think this might be a psychological representation of being squished into a matchbox.

MissRori @missrori

@bluesqueakpip I was wondering about that idea myself — that this Master may not be exactly how he’s acting at the moment.

@badwolfalice I was reminded of DNA too!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Waves Happy New Year at everyone – lest auld acquaintance be forgot etc 🙂

Good to finally have some new Who to muse upon!

I love the idea that “O” is the incarnation between Simm and Missy. Certainly would explain why “O” is in a snit.

I’ve been wondering about the significance of Barton’s search-engine VOR. VOR is (apparently) I discovered after a Google, a form of short-wave radio navigation, involving morse code, used by planes:

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/vor-navigation-system-282557

So I’m sure this sciency Doctor will figure out a way to connect the crashing plane and VOR to save them, and I’m sure “O” knew she would too.

There’s also (not an interpretation for the kids) VORE which is short for vorarephilia which is a paraphilia about being consumed by, often, weird alien creatures (in the realms of t’interwebs). But psychologically, it can be understood as a desire to merge with another, and that’s always seemed to be the Master’s dynamic with the Doctor – a desire to kill/ consume/ merge/ connect.

lisa @lisa

I’m very particularly curious about all the  V O R parts.

Is V virtual and can R  be Reality?  So then what does that make O ?

Also, the Doctor reached out to O so if she already knew him then its hard

to reconcile how to work thru when O was or wasn’t this Master.  Guess he/she

stole another body recently.

I found this appealing and a good start mostly because  I smell some  possible beginnings

of a decent story arc.

Hopefully.

@thane16

Good to hear about all your news.

My tremendous sympathies to all the Australians going thru the horrible fires!!!

lisa @lisa

Re-watched and I got the shrunken matchstick man in the box explanation.   The Master did

that to the Doctor too in the past.   His shrinking skills have improved.

winston @winston

Why does the Master have to steal a body? Did he explain and I missed it? I really need a rewatch.

How would you feel if someone told you that everything you know is a lie? What, what?

winston @winston

@badwolfalice  Welcome to the site! I think the house was his TARDIS and I loved it, I don’t think were in Kansas anymore Doctor.

Ollie14 @ollie14

@miapatrick @badwolfalice

Interesting debate guys. I’m with you, think it would make more sense if this incarnation of the Master is inbetween Simms and Missy purely because his characteristics and personality seem more aligned to Simms.

Apart from Missy almost being converted to good in The Doctor Falls and Dhawan’s incarnation being so desperate to kill off the Doctor straight away, what makes you think he comes after Simms? I can’t quite remember Simms last moments with the Doctor before he died. But, surely if the whole timelords not being able to remember meeting themselves thing is true, the last thing the Simms Master will remember of The Doctor is in The End of Time?

Let me know what you think.

@winston

Why does the Master have to steal a body?

Somewhere in the dim recesses of my memory is the thought that this is an echo of something that has happened before. BG (but not necessarily DW)….

I have a flash of memory from many, many many years ago, of an air stewardess going along a plane and collecting passengers (who have all be shrunk) and putting them in a a box.

Cannot, for the life of me, remember what it is from though.

Why do I seem to be the only one who thought the electrical charge thingy going down the stringy things, when Yaz was there, seemed neurone-y rather than DNA-y?

winston @winston

@pedant The flashes of lights did look like a show I saw on the brain. When different parts of the brain were used electric flashes showed the researchers what part of the brain was being accessed. So I agree with you there, I think she is in a brain like place.

winston @winston

@ollie14   I think the Master did redeem himself in The End of Time by working with the Doctor to send the Timelords back where they belong. In fact he sacrificed himself to save the Doctor and  saved earth at the same time. I suppose he is angry at the Doctor for whatever happened to him back on Gallifrey.Well I guess we have to wait for part 2.

<An interesting comment let down by some puerile whinging about SJW/feminist crap that make you look like the worst Youtube fuckwit.>

And here we have a response from the usual SJW cuck who can’t handle the truth of the fact that there’s a sexist double standard at play with the series as it stands. When you have the Stephen Fry’s C being corrected by a subordinate that Bradley Walshs Graham is not the Doctor and it is in fact Jodie Whittaker, to which he responds that what he’s saying is nonsense because the Doctor is a man. What Does she respond with? “I’ve had an upgrade”. Yes, because it’s perfectly acceptable for a woman to blatantly say that women are superior to me. I don’t mind there being some banter when it comes to gender politics just so long as it’s not all a one way street and the men can give as good as the women.

This is the kind of crap that we were getting in Peter Capalidi’s last two series, what with the General in Hell Bent regenerating in to a black woman and uttering this blatantly misandrist line; ” Back to normal, am I? The only time I’ve been a man, that last body. Dear lord, how do you cope with all that ego?”.  Imagine if the roles had been reversed and it had been a Time Lady regenerating in to a Time Lord and he said something similar? You can bet the feminist/SJW brigade would be up in arms over it.

Great though that the best thing you can say in defense of it though is that I’m the worst type of Youtube fuckwit. Really shows you had your thinking cap on when you spewed forth that lazily thought out attempt at a rebuttal.  Here’s a ball for you to play with. Run along  back to the playground and leave the conversation to the grown ups, will you.

@IAmNotAFishIAmAFreeman And here we have a response from the usual SJW cuck who can’t handle the truth of the fact that there’s a sexist double standard at play with the series as it stands. When you have the Stephen Fry’s C being corrected by a subordinate that Bradley Walshs Graham is not the Doctor and it is in fact Jodie Whittaker, to which he responds that what he’s saying is nonsense because the Doctor is a man. What Does she respond with? “I’ve had an upgrade”. Yes, because it’s perfectly acceptable for a woman to blatantly say that women are superior to me. I don’t mind there being some banter when it comes to gender politics just so long as it’s not all a one way street and the men can give as good as the women.

This is the kind of crap that we were getting in Peter Capalidi’s last two series, what with the General in Hell Bent regenerating in to a black woman and uttering this blatantly misandrist line; ” Back to normal, am I? The only time I’ve been a man, that last body. Dear lord, how do you cope with all that ego?”. Imagine if the roles had been reversed and it had been a Time Lady regenerating in to a Time Lord and he said something similar? You can bet the feminist/SJW brigade would be up in arms over it.

Great though that the best thing you can say in defense of it though is that I’m the worst type of Youtube fuckwit. Really shows you had your thinking cap on when you spewed forth that lazily thought out attempt at a rebuttal. Here’s a ball for you to play with. Run along back to the playground and leave the conversation to the grown ups, will you.

lisa @lisa

Reminds me of the 3W idea in Dark Water — Time Lord technology nether sphere.

Neural networks.   Galifreyan hard drives.    Master’s projects.

Right down to a skeleton shape inside a glass box, ( the shrunken one inside Barton’s VOR office).

There were also lots of “O’s”  plastered all over Barton’s office, surely a clue for something?

In Dark Water  it turned out to be Cybermen symbology all around.

The tall silver sculpture is a bit like the light creature shape too.

When that one light creature seemed to use Barton’s computer as a portal and grabbed Yaz,

it called  her an obstacle but then  Yaz was  popped out?

Certainly seemed like the creatures were having a tantrum when she was on the inside.

I like this mystery.

So I wiki’d  a search about light creatures in past Doctor Who.

There are light creatures called  “Aeroliths” that were held captive by the Master until the

7th Doctor freed them (in a comic book story).  Then there is the ‘Eaters of Light’ episode

which were  those light creatures that  existed in swarms and the 12th Doctor pushed them

all back thru the portal in Roman’s era  Scotland.

I also  like returning themes!

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Curtesy of Mrs Blenkinsop (technology wizard) we finally got to watch it! So…The Master–pre-Missy or post-Missy? I say post-Missy. We don’t know yet what the Master’s plans are. Episode 2 awaits.

Overall response? Sure, I liked it but…just like the previous season, why is everything filmed to be dark ? (I mean photogentically dark.)  To be honest, I find that really distracting. And sort of, well, un-Who. Of course, it may have something to do with the ailing Blenkinsop eyes.

p.s. @pedant. The memory of a stewardess collecting miniature passengers sounds very Twilight Zone or maybe Out of the Unknown  (or even Emma Peel period Avengers) but I have not yet been able to track it down.

TranslatorCircuit @translatorcircuit

I’ve avoided reading any previews of this story, or reading any of your comments before posting this.

I certainly must say, what a welcome and long awaited return for Doctor Who! I was totally disgusted for this year long wait for the return of the BBC’s flagship programme. More than that, it’s the only BBC programme I still watch, after deciding that BBC Click was no longer as interesting as it used to be.

I didn’t like the title, indicating it was based on James Bond. I was really annoyed when a caption came up saying that Sheffield is in Yorkshire, a county which was abolished around the beginning of the Tom Baker era in 1974! I immediately decided to complain to the BBC about this for spreading disinformation. Not only that, but in “The Woman Who Fell To Earth”, Yas said she was with Hallamshire Police. There’s no such place as Hallamshire, but Sheffield Hallam is the constituency where Nick Clegg used to be the MP.

Obviously, I wasn’t surprised to see the James Bond type theme running throughout the whole episode. One thing that did make me wonder early on was how come The Doctor is still able to use what looks like the same workshop in Sheffield where she built her latest sonic screwdriver after the owner was murdered by The Stenza? Did he own the workshop outright? Didn’t he have any surviving family members, such as cousins who would have claimed it?

I was surprised to see Steven Fry as “C”, the head of MI6. He was once tipped to play the part of The Doctor. I thought C was killed off too quickly, though.

Obviously, the company VOR is hinting at Google getting too big and action needing to be taken against it. I think I’ve been using Google and all their services too much myself recently, so I plan to cut down on that, by using other search engines, as well as possibly installing Linux onto my phone.

I can’t help wondering exactly who these aliens are and the extent of their powers. Have we ever seen them before? Could they be the Vardans with more advanced technology?

Former MI6 spy O tells Graham that he first met The Doctor when she was a man. Graham replies that he thought she was joking about that, even though C said that in the files it said The Doctor was a man. Why was he surprised after hearing this so many times?

What or where is the strange realm which Yas is transported to? Could it be a microscopic area filled with alien DNA? Could it be her standing on the skin of a giant covered with massive hairs?

O is revealed to be The Master! What a twist! How did he or she ever survive being killed by an earlier incarnation of himself using a gun which was supposed to prevent regeneration?

At the end of this episode, The Doctor is transported to the same other worldly realm as Yas was transported to earlier. We already know it’s possible to escape, but who will activate the equipment and how? Obviously, she will escape, otherwise that would be the end of the series.

So, all in all, an exciting first episode, with lots of twists in the plot to keep the viewer guessing. God only knows what bowlestrek the Season 11/Jodie Whittaker AND Star Trek: Discovery hater on YouTube will make up to explain why it was total crap! I think he should be exterminated!

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Yorkshire is still recognised as a geographical and cultural region. When it comes to specific police stations, like hospitals, the program will tend to make them up.

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@ollie14: Missy wasn’t with him all the time, though, so he might remember bits. I think it’s possible, if he is between Simms and Gomez, that he has an extra sense of hostility towards the Doctor but doesn’t quite know why, just running with it. Of course, all this is based on the idea that the Master is being honest with the Doctor in the last episode, so we’ll see how far that gets us…

Missy coming just after him made sense until Simms Master turned up last time, because she was more friendly deposed towards the Doctor, in her twisted way, which would have made sense with how they last parted. But then, there is he was, going full sadist (but, as I said, playing with his food, not jumping straight for the kill).

I think other reasons – depends if the alien threat here is Cybermen. They make me think of Cybermen. He’s waited to go for this Doctor, perhaps because wiping out Capaldi Doc would prevent Simms Master’s death and his own regeneration? He can’t prevent Missy occurring, which he knows she will, but he can punish the Doctor, but then he wouldn’t know what happened with Missy – unless he was able to create some kind of a record? I don’t know, it’s the Master. I think I just want an explanation for Missy’s reformation that isn’t mostly ‘being in a female form’ since it can’t be how they left it at the original end of Simm’s run because of his return.

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

Well, we thoroughly enjoyed this. Didn’t expect the Master, no idea what his parting words mean… but we’ve another ep on Sunday so not long to wait for at least some of the mysteries to be resolved. I’m not convinced that the aliens are Cybermen, but they aren’t behaving like Cybermen ever have done (OK, the rules are flexible, but still…). But didn’t the alien they ‘captured’ in the cabin say that they’d chosen the form they had to mock the Doctor/earth people/whoever? In which case we should presumably not draw any conclusions from the shape of their heads/helmets?

On another matter, I hope we can hold the line of ignoring the SJW shouter. He’s breezed in here, where we’ve all been talking Who for years, largely amicably if occasionally acerbically, and told us to go and play elsewhere, so I think we read that as license to ignore him unless his rhetoric becomes so toxic that he needs booting out. It’s just so very tedious and predictable (a fair bit of it on the Other Place too, inevitably).

Great cameos from Fry and Henry – and delighted that Dhawan isn’t just a cameo! Had totally forgotten he played Waris Hussein in Adventure in Space & Time (have seen him in loads of things and he’s always good value). Yaz getting more of a role – hope that’s a sign of things to come this season.

So, a long wait, but we feel rewarded, and v excited for Part 2.

idiotsavon @idiotsavon

First off, Happy New Year everyone! 🙂

Ooh, well-played, I did not see that coming. There was even a bit when O offered to show Graham the doctor’s files, when I thought he must he a wrong ‘un. But by the time he was chasing after the plane I’d forgotten all about that and was rooting for him. Ha ha, trust no-one 🙂

Enjoyed, enjoyed, enjoyed a lot.

Anyway, is there something wrong with my computer? Where are all the posts from new members who signed up to complain about diverse casting?

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@cathannabel ah I suppose it’s a matter of balance. Overall relatively positive at t’other place, more positivity than I’ve seen lately at least. And random box ticking winning hand at bingo troll over here.

Ah but what you have to understand is said troll isn’t just talking about this place, oh no. They’re referring to the internet. The trolls, don’t you know, own the internet. This site is a downright assault on their territory. Hence the anger. Civilised discussions of Doctor Who? We’re basically taking a poo on their front lawn, here.

I think we’re all hoping Yaz gets a bit more time – and she did in this episode. Two scenes at the beginning to the other’s two’s one, we see her juggling both home life and work. Possible friction involving her sister and friend? Is she going to have to make a choice between travelling with the Doctor and her career? Where would she be doing the most good? In the former she is literally helping to save the world, but the Doctor would never set up what she does as more worthy than people, living on earth, doing their best to help people. Has her DNA also been changed? I like that they showed her genuinely traumatised by the transportation.

@idiotsavon

Anyway, is there something wrong with my computer? Where are all the posts from new members who signed up to complain about diverse casting?

I think they just sent a representative.

SJW whinge: check

Cuck: Check

Erratic punctuation: Check

Poor anger management: check

Inability to get laid: implicit.

@miapatrick @cathannabel

I like that they showed her genuinely traumatised by the transportation.

Yes! This!

hey aren’t behaving like Cybermen ever have done

Hmm. Army of Ghosts?

Mudlark @mudlark

@pedant

Why do I seem to be the only one who thought the electrical charge thingy going down the stringy things, when Yaz was there, seemed neurone-y rather than DNA-y?

You’re not the only one. The stringy things with sparks of light coursing down them, even though not dendritic in form, evoked the idea of nerve fibre/electrical firing, therefore neurones/synapses, for me, too.   Not a hint of double helix structure anywhere, though.

It could, of course, represent an alien equivalent of DNA; but without the double helix structure, or even an unstrung single helix, it ain’t DNA.

Talking of which, the spy whose DNA had been rewritten was described by the Doctor as no longer human, just a shell, but unless my memory is faulty the diagnostic display still showed something resembling a double helix, I suspect that the ‘shells’ have been prepared for occupation by the alien invaders. And I’m willing to bet a virtual pint in the pub that the Master ends up in alliance with the Doctor to defeat said aliens 😉

Cath Annabel @cathannabel

@pedant OK will need to re-view Army of Ghosts. Even so, what about the ‘we chose this form to take the p***’?

Arbutus @arbutus

Well, this was fun. 🙂  I think Dhawan is doing a great job with the Master so far. I guessed nothing (although I did wonder why O seemed to smile so much!). I’d prefer the Master to be post-Missy, because I like forward motion and anything else would be a little too much like overwriting a lot of great character development. But we shall see. I also agree with @miapatrick that I don’t like the idea of a female Master being the only one capable of redemption.

@badwolfalice  The pre-Gap Master often tried to kill the Doctor very blatantly indeed. But I like the suggestion that there is more behind the Master’s actions than what is obvious.

@pedant  The Master stole a body in order to become the Anthony Ainley Master, but as I recall, that was because he had used up his regenerations. This would appear to be a different case, as he did it in order to infiltrate MI6.

Now, we’re all excited about the master but we mustn’t forget Barton! Is he an alien disguised as human, or a converted human, or something different? And we still don’t know what the Master has to do with all that. (Or do we? There was a lot unfolding in the last few minutes!) Personally, I don’t think think the aliens are Cybermen, partly because of the comment about mocking humans, and partly because it seems a bit much bringing back the Master and the Cybermen in one episode! But I’ve been wrong before and will be again.

@cathannabel  Regarding trolls, I check out the minute I see any reference to “SJW”. It’s a signpost to the kind of bias that I can’t be bothered engaging with.

@twelveismydoctor  Interesting ideas about the Matrix!

@winston  I also liked the Doctor’s bowtie. I’d love to see her in a dress at some point, but I suspect that isn’t this Doctor’s style!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.