• BadWolfAlice replied to the topic Can You Hear Me?

    @MissRori That statement makes it clear that the intention of the scene was good at least, even though it clearly could have been handled better.

  • I agree @missrori that the ending was lovely. It reminds me that even now, with all the challenges facing the world, there are forward-thinking, inspired people with ideas that might just take us into a better future!

    Oh, and nice research @whisht on the Kraftwerk connection!

  • Arbutus replied to the topic The Kebab & Calculator

    @MissRori     I understand that your special circumstances present particular challenges. But I do relate to the statement “to keep the peace, I just don’t talk to her about much anymore“!

    I love my parents dearly, but they live in a part of Canada where the politics are so different from those of mine that I end up avoiding a lot of topics. It’…[Read more]

  • Arbutus replied to the topic Orphan 55

    @MissRori     Responding to you in the pub so as to avoid getting modded!

  • Miapatrick replied to the topic Orphan 55

    @missrori thanks for the clarification! I have to admit that had me stumped!

    That sounds stressful, and dealing with parents as an adult can be tough – I also live with my mother, though in my case it’s more her living with us.

    I feel for kids nowadays, I hate those memes that get circulated mocking young people for protesting about the…[Read more]

  • Juniperfish replied to the topic Orphan 55

    @Craig you are indeed Emperor 🙂 And Tim Minchin is fab.

    @missrori @jimthefish

    Essentially, the whole of Nu Who, up until the “fix it” of The Name of the Doctor, has the Doctor as having committed genocide against his own people. In The Satan Pit, the Beast refers to Tennant Doc as “the killer of his own kind” and we eventually find out what…[Read more]

  • JimTheFish replied to the topic Orphan 55

    @missrori

    Interesting points re. Morality and the Doctor and I think we can say that Doc’s morality and system of ethics sometimes doesn’t resemble ours and is sometimes contradictory to what we’ve seen in the past (largely to do with individual writers). You could credibly argue, however, that the Doctor’s entire character arc from An Unearthly…[Read more]

  • @phaseshift

    That’s a fair point re. Dinosaurs and I think you could be right. That was certainly a theme in s7 up to and including the 50th anniversary

    @juniperfish and @missrori

    Yes, let’s take the question of the Doc’s morality over to the Orphan thread. I’ve certainly got some thoughts on @missrori‘s interesting post above

    @everyone

    I’d be…[Read more]

  • P.S @jimthefish and @missrori I’d like to continue the discussions about the Doctor’s morality, as I think it’s a really interesting topic (and personally I don’t think WhitDoc is more morally dubious than previous Nu Who Docs) but this is a General Open Thread for TV shows other than Dr. Who so we need to take it somewhere else on the forum!…[Read more]

  • Juniperfish replied to the topic Orphan 55

    @missrori I absolutely love Nausicaa and I totally agree – it wasn’t the Dregs’ fault that they were the way they were – a broken eco-system had resulted in their genetic mutation, so it’s a shame the Doctor couldn’t communicate with them more as a species.

    I agree with you @Rob , it wasn’t clear what level of sentience they had. Were they…[Read more]

  • Peace Frog replied to the topic Orphan 55

    @missrori

    I don’t know anybody who did. Wonder how he managed to win?

    With apologies to the Beatles and the former C.C.C.P.  –

    “I get by with a little help from my comrades, I get high with a little help from my comrades….”

  • Juniperfish replied to the topic Spyfall part 2

    @miapatrick  I felt as though the 7% not human DNA was a big part of Barton’s coldness here.

    Yes, true. But there was a bit of an odd discrepancy there, as Barton seemed fully intellectually functioning with his 7% alien DNA (if not morally) but others “infected” with the alien DNA became simply “shells” and “memory sticks”, like his poor old M…[Read more]

  • syzygy replied to the topic Spyfall part 2

    @missrori

    It’s the Doctor, on his own, with other humans (River). It’s Ashildr who is Mire and human. The dynamic of the Doctor with Clara is still complex, enough. However, you might be right  suggesting something deeper. That there’s a ‘thing’ (that’s my word, I’m sticking to it!) the Doctor is responsible for/doesn’t know about/a myth he…[Read more]

  • Bluesqueakpip replied to the topic Spyfall part 2

    @Blenkinsopthebrave

    True, we are supposed to forget about the fact that if he was on Earth for 77 years he (presumably) managed to miss all the other Masters who were around London and the environs during the ’70s and ’80s, not to mention Prime Minister Saxon. But, as Mrs Blenkinsop wisely reminds me: “You are not supposed to ask those quest…

    [Read more]

  • lisa replied to the topic Spyfall part 2

    Well that got kinky when the Doctor kneeled to the Master!  “Hands on head “!  LMAO !

    The Master was always a  bit flirty!  Would it be inappropriate to think they need to get a room?

    In a way I think this Master has saved the show!   I also think that as much as Moffett

    tried to save the dark Master in his re write of the character  Chibn…[Read more]

  • syzygy replied to the topic Spyfall part 2

    @mudlark @bluesqueakpip

    Yes, excellent observations & critique. The Master’s “distress is almost palpable.” He isn’t a one stop- shop villain.  The wild & mad is evident the more you look, & Dahwan’s pacing is beautiful: “You got me.”  The camera waits, for a beat. And then another. The up close photography doesn’t seem showy. Neither is the p…[Read more]

  • Miapatrick replied to the topic Spyfall part 2

    @bluesqueakpip I noticed the desperation and angry sadness when he said that!

    I’m absolutely on board with post-Missy, since we seem to have been given a reason for, shall we say, a little moral regression. I’m not sure Missy was entirely reformed anyway. This Master seems desperate. ‘both Ones Who Ran Away’ exactly. At least since the gap, a…[Read more]

  • Bluesqueakpip replied to the topic Spyfall part 2

    @missrori

    I’m not sure Chibnall is going to radically alter the Who Mythos into a Big Lie thing.

    No, I don’t think he is. I have read the LeGuin story and the emphasis is not on the Big Lie itself as much as it’s on the choice people have to make, whether to continue in the lie or walk away. And I suspect I’m thinking of it because, in their d…[Read more]

  • Bluesqueakpip replied to the topic Spyfall part 2

    @MissRori

    Frankly, this episode is coming off as rather bitterly timed.

    That is, surely, precisely the point at which a non-religious hero like the Doctor needs to point out that darkness doesn’t win in the long run. Noor is heading off to die in Dachau, possibly one of the darkest endings possible for her own story on Earth – but in the wider…[Read more]

  • Missy replied to the topic The Kebab & Calculator

    @cathannabel @thane16 @janetteb @missrori @winston @ichabod

    Thank you  – ALL of you for your kindness. I shall certainly look for all the support for the both of us that I can.

    We are fortunate in having three lovely children, all ready to help.

    It’s the moving that’s terrifying. I won’t be able to pay the rent on a three bedroom house, once…[Read more]

  • Load More