• Missy replied to the topic The Kebab & Calculator

    @missrori

    Update on my OH and me.

    I am improving, but my poor OH has now been diagnosed with Oesophageal cancer.

    This proves that there isn’t any justice, I’m the smoker, not him.

    Missy

  • Missy replied to the topic The Kebab & Calculator

    @missrori

    Thank you. I am improving slowly, but my OH is not.

    Missy

  • @MissRori

    I think the Thirteen was too sunny at the end given that five planets’ populations were destroyed as an indirect result of her sparing Tim Shaw’s life

    I think that’s one area where the script did need a bit of editing. When you rewatch, you can see that the planets are in fact in things that look like the big stasis chambers the sup…[Read more]

  • JimTheFish replied to the topic Dr Who News (4)

    @bluesqueakpip

    s12 is definitely in pre-production, although the early stages if the chat on Twitter and thereabouts is to be believed. I suppose it’s theoretically possible that we could see it late in 2019 but I doubt it, not with the amount of post that Who requires. I’m pretty sure they were well under way with filming s11 by this time last…[Read more]

  • thane16 replied to the topic Demons of the Punjab

    @swordwhale   @missrori

    Wondering how much of the uncertainly some have with the character of the Doctor is because a woman is bringing a slightly different kind of energy to it? Is it different from what all the male actors brought to it?

    Yeah, I think the Doctor has been developed nicely. The episode before this where the Doctor says, “I love…[Read more]

  • winston replied to the topic Dr Who News (4)

    @jimthefish  @missrori  @bluesqeakpip    I am disappointed that there will be no Christmas Who this year. I look forward to it as one of the few things I do for myself on that busy day. Dinner is over ,dishes are done and the family has gone home and finally I get to sit down, make a cuppa and watch Doctor Who . The specials are sometimes too sen…[Read more]

  • thane16 replied to the topic Rosa

    @pedant @kevinwho @lisa @missrori and @mudlark

    Yes, I felt that as Krasko had admitted, with great amusement to killing 2000 people, and referred to African Americans as “mongrels,” I felt there was no real need to ‘explore’ this particular gentleman’s character further.

    Within the dialogue we had all we needed. He lacked remorse; he wanted only…[Read more]

  • Cath Annabel replied to the topic Rosa

    I thnk I’d been preconditioned to expect teachy/preachy from one or two comments in the press, and yes, there was an element of both, but in fact, on reflection and as I allowed myself to respond to the drama as it unfolded, it was splendidly done, and very moving.  Given its intended audience and time of broadcast, it could not ‘show’ the…[Read more]

  • ichabod replied to the topic The Woman Who Fell To Earth

    @pedant  As was repeatedly stated, he could have left at any time. So maybe add “stubborn” to “patient”.

    Talking about the Confession Dial, you mean?  Okay, I do not remember 12 being able to “leave at any time”.  I remember that he could give up a certain secret and then be released (or not — it was by no means a fixed bargain).  Not the s…[Read more]

  • nerys replied to the topic The Ghost Monument

    @missrori … but I do think it would help if BBC America would, at least for the premiere airing, drop the commercials. They are REALLY killing momentum.

    We have the same problem with the Space channel in Canada. The ads totally disrupt the flow of an episode. It’s always such a relief to be able to watch these episodes, sans commercials, on…[Read more]

  • ichabod replied to the topic The Ghost Monument

    @mudlark  perhaps my ageing brain has a problem processing  words delivered at machine-gun velocity.

    For me, it’s that plus the swallowed consonants — but I had trouble with “Deep Throat” for the same reason, and I’ve been watching with subtitles on ever since.  It helps a lot!

    the redesign of the Tardis interior; at first glance it seems vi…[Read more]

  • Kharis replied to the topic The Woman Who Fell To Earth

    Okay, just did my read through, and it reinforced why I always post before I read everyone else’s posts because I inevitably feel very bad that everyone else liked it and I went and ripped on the episode.

    Hello everyone! Miss reading your comments, and welcome to all the new additions. (:

    Glad to agree on some of the positive comments.…[Read more]

  • Rob replied to the topic The Woman Who Fell To Earth

    Welcome @missrori

    Guessing or theories or bonkerising is usually (was willing to be put right by our mods) allowed, insider trading (you know something will happen because you 3rd cousin is the in thd production team or is JW or you’ve seen a something from the next episode even if an official trailer) is somewhat frowned upon

    I can already see…[Read more]

  • Craig replied to the topic The Woman Who Fell To Earth

    @MissRori As @XAD4 says – please try to stick to the episode and not what’s going to happen next week or the week after. If you want to do that we have topics for that.

    Sorry to be a buzz-kill but some people like to go in knowing nothing.

  • ichabod replied to the topic The Faces of the Doctor

    @tempusfugit  What do you think might account for the lack of English language proficiency in Spain?

    @missrori  Jo Walton is an outstanding UK writer of SF.  “Among Others” seems to be at least partly autobiographical; the protagonist is a hyper-intelligent girl growing up in Wales, with a witch (a real one?  Maybe?) for a mother and an aff…[Read more]

  • ichabod replied to the topic On The Sofa (9)

    @thane16

    Well, see, that’s supposedly the gist of the argument: that all of them are like that… [Ichabod]

    Ah, so that is their argument? Perhaps when writing “mouthy” I should have written “the companions had ideas, they were creative, they began to think like the Doctor but most importantly they already did speak like him, think like him…[Read more]

  • Mudlark replied to the topic On The Sofa (9)

    @pedant

     Moffat has stated repeatedly that the original intent was to cast someone older, but they were won over by Smith’s audition as old in a young body.

    And how right they were!

    I hadn’t come across any of Matt’s earlier work, and the initial publicity photos didn’t impress me: he looked so impossibly young. It just shows the folly of ju…[Read more]

  • thane16 replied to the topic On The Sofa (9)

    @jimthefish @mudlark @missrori @pedant

    I wish I had the prosaic and elegiac qualities of Mr P.

    Donna a working class woman allowed to fly so close to the sun she had to have her wings clipped for her own protection. But sung about every night on a planet billions of light years away….And Clara…Who refused to be “saved” by Eleven, and ind…

    [Read more]

  • @thane16 @missrori

    The point that cannot be emphasised enough is that the people who complain about Moffat, using his depiction of women, use exactly the same syntax ad those who style themselves mens rights activists or incels.

    That is, people who have never actually met any girls.

    They sit claiming to love the show, while the entire point of…[Read more]

  • @missrori

    Peter Capaldi… notes that he feels the eternal appeal of Who is how it examines death — grief, inevitability, moving on

    Ah, I didn’t notice this before. And it explains, how, as a seven year old, who lost her mum, I found something in Who which examined the varying reactions to death and rebirth.  I never laughed when I watched it. Ot…[Read more]

  • Load More