S33 (7) 14 – The Name of the Doctor

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor S33 (7) 14 – The Name of the Doctor

This topic contains 1,041 replies, has 83 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 1,042 total)
  • Author
    Juniperfish @juniperfish

@bluesqueakpip Re Clara as Moff’s meta Mary Sue joke.

Yes, he does, of late, apparently love to sass-back his critics in-script. The “fine you don’t want an arc, have some blockbuster movies ( and a submerged arc)” of 7.1 for instance. Not to mention the “big friendly button” of JttCotT which was a huge and deliberate wind-up/ elephant trap for those who like to scream “deus ex machina”, and boy did it work.

I think Moff reads some of the fan commentary out there in the vast seas of online Whovian space and laughs a slightly demonic laugh 🙂

On the other hand, Clara was the weak spot in this episode, for me. All the emotional punch lay in Vastra’s terror at losing Jenny and the Doctor’s grief over River. Clara’s sacrifice for the Doctor and his rescue mission for her felt feather-light by comparison. I have no sense of Clara as anything other than “born to save the Doctor” at this point, because I don’t feel that a genuine personality has been built for her – just fragments.

Whilst that has served a delightful timey puzzle, which I’ve much enjoyed, it hasn’t been able to craft character or emotional connection. It seems she is a rebound attraction for the Doctor and he is someone who puts stars in her eyes. But truthfully, I don’t care.

Some people seem to love her however. I can appreciate enjoying her acting, It’s just, who is Clara really? I suppose we will find out. So far she has been a puppet (all those Pinocchio references) and now she will become a real girl – perhaps!

I wish they’d done the brave thing and had her be scattered forever through the Doctor’s time-line without a way for him to save “original” Clara.

Maybe I’m just sulking because I was hoping for a granddaughter revelation. That would have had the most wonderful narrative symmetry across 50 years.

Waves at newcomers @inigo and @jpw1

bruinhoo @bruinhoo

Great minds @fivefaces… One of my ‘rough bonkers theories’ from above – the Hurt ‘Doctor’ being the a previous incarnation who caused the Last Time War. Not sure if I see him being a version of eight/McCann though. It sounded that Hurt’s ‘Doctor’ was separate from those whom Clara had previously seen, and she had seen all of those that we previously understood to be one through eleven.

I just finished rewatching, and am going back to Hurt’s line at the end of the episode. An attempt to defend his past actions to Matt by saying that he had acted “without choice…, in the name of peace and sanity” (But not in the name of the Doctor, per Smith, having broken the promise made when he – Hartnell? – took the name “The Doctor”).

A couple of possible bonkers theories coming to mind based upon that final line. One based upon Hurt as having started the Last Time War, but due to actions taken under orders of the time lords (My understanding of classic Dr Who is limited, but I have seen that at times, The Doctor had acted under Time Lord direction. Could be completely off on that point. In that case, feel free to ignore). The mission so undertaken may have been intended – or described to him – as one of peace, but having fallen apart, sparked the great war.

Given that everyone else who knew how the time war started are dead/time locked, the cause of the war is a secret that he could keep from the universe. The reality that he not only ended the Time War, but that he was responsible for starting it was too much for him to bear, leading him to lock away the memory of that version of himself in a part of his mind (the mind block in NiS, emphasis on memory thoughout the season…).

Another thought has Hurt as a future version of the Doctor – possibly his final regeneration whose permanent death comes at Trenzalore – who through some timey-wimeyness and crossing of his own timeline is the version of the Doctor who ended the Time War. In doing so, he saves nine/Ecclestone, whose personality in series one of New Who is his survivors guilt combined with the foreknowledge of his actions, and not the aftermath of having ended the war.

The idea of this future self being the Doctor’s great secret does not sit as well, though it better explains that line. Ending the time war is certainly an act fostering a greater peace and sanity, and he would not have had a choice due to the act being a fixed point in time and/or a necessity due to the carnage and spread of the war. But however necessary, genocide of the Timelords and the Daleks is certainly an abandonment of the name of “The Doctor”.

Again, crazy bonkers theories that are certain to be hilariously off the mark come November 23rd…

ardaraith @ardaraith
    ardaraith @ardaraith

@scaryb – I’m of the same opinion as you, regarding the Doctor’s death at Trenzalore having now been rewritten.  The TARDIS interior, and crack in the window, gave it away for me–those are all characteristics of the TARDIS that landed with Clara aboard. But this time…the impossible girl was there.

I am delighted by my theory of River being one of Clara’s echoes, super-boosted by conception on the TARDIS. River was potentially the first echo to hold all the information and memories from the other echoes, as well as the original Clara. Hence, her unequalled (even by the Doctor) foreknowledge.  @bluesqueakpip mentioned the possibility that Clara will, going forward, possess her full range of memories again, via the leaf.

River would have known about her life (as Clara) with the future Doctor. Could we be seeing where River’s memory of her relationship with the Doctor truly starts?  Could the return of the leaf, and having jumped into the Doctor’s time stream, open the way for the tremendous foreknowledge we experienced with the River “echo” of Clara?

regardless, I am sold on this theory of River as Clara. (Whistles happy tune. River never really goes away.)

Anonymous @

@bruinoo — nice theories RE. Hurt’s Doctor… you might be on to something there…

@ardaraith and @lula — afraid I have to concur with @Shazzbot that we’ve just seen River’s last appearance. Apart from anything else, she’s now just an Obi-Wan like apparition, it seems. There’s nothing else for her do. As a character, she’s run her course, I think…

Anonymous @

Also I think that episode has finally made me warm to Clara. And as of now does that mean she’ll be a companion with a pretty detailed (and intimate) knowledge of the Doctor’s entire history? No wonder River didn’t seem to like her that much. She now knows the Doctor even better than River ever will…

ardaraith @ardaraith

@JimThe Fish – I agree. I think River’s echo is fading, and Alex won’t appear again. But I think her origin was as an echo of Clara. I think River was one of Clara’s echoes, sent through time. I suspect that with her leaf returned,  having jumped into the time stream, she will return a full fledged character!!

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

So, Clara gave herself the TARDIS phone number, she was his time (Theta Sigma’s friend and ruler), John Hurt’s Doctor was what he saw in the God Complex and he’s stuck in his own mind. Yeah?

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

Random thought that just came into my head: Clara wasn’t very complimentary about the TARDIS when she recommended it to the first Doctor. Perhaps the TARDIS remembers that resentfully and that’s why it doesn’t like her.

Anonymous @

First gravestone when they emerge from the Tardis on Trenzalor bears the name Clemency Bunn. Any significance??

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

@northumbria Just as the name of a scenic artist working on the show.

Anonymous @

@northumbria and @satstumajoe — rather like the names in the Buffy graveyard being members of the production design team…

noofer @noofer

but is john hurt doctor from his past or future

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Episode has just finished in the colonies. Hurrah!

blenkinsop was wrong with his theory, but, hurrah! not only does it maintain blenkinsop’s unbroken record of false predictions, but what actually happened was BRILLIANT!

Everything about the episode was wonderful. Everything.

Since I am in the blenkinsop version of the Qantas Club Lounge in the blenkinsop apartment, and rather a lot of the free Club Lounge wine has been consumed, I will need a little time to compose a thoughtful response.

Oh! Mrs Blenkinsop’s announcement of the flight to Singapore has just come through, so I have to rush. In touch soon.

thebadfairyprincess @thebadfairyprincess

Hmm.. I’m really not sure what to make of this episode yet. The only thing I’m certain on is that I’m not huge on Moffat, and much prefer Gatiss. It was certainly all down to the utterly brilliant performances from all the actors for me (Matt & Jenna seriously gave their all on this one – Matt’s been upping the ante for ages now, and Jenna was up and down like a yo-yo, so I think it shows which episodes were shot first) because I wasn’t bowled over by the story until that punch in the face of – JOHN HURT, BITCHES! I really hope it’s not heading in a seriously convoluted direction though.

I agree with the others who are saying that Clara is an ordinary girl who does something extraordinary and there’s not much else to say about it. I’m not sure that this is our goodbye to River, and am thinking that Hurt is the Time War Dr between McGann and Eccleston. No other theories going on yet, I think this one will swim about in my head for awhile first..

Drwho @drwho

I have a question for jim, since i have not seen the time war episodes, which doctors appeared in them so that would make better sence to me, Oh and noofer the hurt doctor is most likely a past doctor because matt smith said to clara when they were both in his time stream that all the other doctors are from his past so hurt is most likely from smiths past, if that be true and hurt was in the time war the show must have never shown the time war because we never saw hurt in the show before…. Am i right? But its called a time war so the war goes all over time so for all i know the time war will be spread across time itself, I like how someone said that hurt was an older version of mchann, this all might be true if doctor who showed the battle of the time war, if not that means that hurt could posebly be the doctor!!!!!!!

BadWulf @badwulf

Further thoughts before I watch it again.

1) Is there any definitive evidence to show that the Hurt Doctor existed within the Doctor’s timeline before the GI entered it? (I don’t mean hints and intimations such as in the God Complex, which could have been about the Valeyard). This leaves the potential for the Hurt Doctor to be an artefact of the GI’s meddling. (Disclaimer – I don’t believe that this is what the Moff intends to do, but I’m just putting it out there as a strawman)

2) Why was the Doctor being damaged/weakened by the paradox when we first see his timeline grave, but as soon as the GI and ClaraPrime plunge into the timeline, he’s sprightly enough the snog virtual River and then monologue for a bit before jumping into his own timeline?

3) Does the fact that ClaraPrime now remembers the events of Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS invalidate all of the criticism of that episode having a reset button? – because my understanding of fan hatred of reset buttons in general is that they remove consequences, and in this particular case, we can see that JttCotT has crucial consequences, i.e. it gives ClaraPrime the idea to scatter herself.

4) Does CrispyClara from JttCotT count as one of the scattered Claras?

5) If Sexy, as she claimed, stole the Doctor, how come it is now ScatteredClara who points the Doctor to Sexy? Does this imply that there is an even stronger link between the TARDIS and ScatteredClara?

6) Who is more influential on the Doctor, ScatteredClara or BadWolfRose? From this episode, it idicates that ScatteredClara is.

Now I shall watch the episode again!

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@satsumajoe Yes I think you’re right that Hurt’s Doctor was what Eleven saw in his Room 101 in the God Complex.

And, yes, whoever said it upstream, the TARDIS clearly had issues with Clara because she was a time paradox and perhaps a teensy bit on River’s behalf, River being her “child”.

@ardaraith posted the prequel to the second half of Series 7 (the prequel to Asylum of the Daleks) in the previous episode thread. It’s on the end of this collection of Series 7 prequels here:

I’m wondering whether the hooded figure who sent the Doctor to find Dalek Oswin on Skaro was River. The figure appeared to him by “psychic link” in a “dream message” and we saw Vastra and River use that technique in The Name of the Doctor. So River was guiding the Doctor and Clara all along to Trenzalor, knowing it was necessary for Clara to be scattered through his time-line to save him?

Given that River was the one who used the Doctor’s name to open his tomb (suggesting foreknowledge) I suspect that’s the case.

@ardaraith  I’m not convinced River is a Clara echo or Clara is a River regeneration. That was a pretty frosty exchange that went down between them at Vastra’s!

What I don’t understand really, is how the mere fact of Clara’s presence throughout the Doctor’s time-stream was enough to “save him” from the ravages the Great Intelligence was promising to visit upon the Doctor’s life events, personality, frienships etc. That suggests Clara is not “just a girl scattered in time” but a clean-up anti-virus programme. A link to CAL via River would explain that kind of capability.

River saved him at his grave-side from beyond hers, even though he’d never once gone back to visit her “afterlife”. He surely was lucky he met Melody Pond.

Rob @rob

Just going to jump in, after building my wifes birthday pressie, a love seat, ahhhh.

Prisoner Zero

John Hurt The Doctor

Thus 1 to 11 stay as John Hurt   is Dr 0

Possibly

Drwho @drwho

in series 1 with ecclestone , Rose sucked up the time vortex in the tardis to save the doctor from the daleks, but when she had all the power so she thought that she would save him over time, at first i thought that one of those messages was clara going in different points in time but i guess i was wrong!!

BadWulf @badwulf

@thebadfairyprincess – I just misread your post as “Is the Time War between McGann and Ecclestone”, i.e. is the Time War a conflict with McGann Doctor on one side, and Ecclestone Doctor on the other?

An intriguing possibility, if we have different incarnations on differenst sides in the war…

Miapatrick @miapatrick

OK, that was amazing.

I think I’ve said before that I find Moffits ending brilliant, although not particularly concerned with logic. But this one was, I think, both brilliant and logical.

Although I’m sad to see River go- and I do think this is the last of River, I loved seeing her get a proper farewell, and I loved seeing, at last, and without everything getting too sentimental, evidence that the doctor really did love her back. (Incidentally, River being an ‘echo’- wasn’t Echo a nymph who faded away from unrequited love?)

The Clara explanation worked perfectly. (And a lot of people on here actually got pretty close.) And Moffit did more than I expected him to do- he explained that mystery (for the most part) but still left us with enough questions to drive us crazy till November. Like, why was River still there when Clara had gone? (‘spoilers’). And, of course, the great John Hurt.

(I also discovered, on the other Guardian thread, that four glasses of wine is precisely the point at which I get into an argument with Truckles about the ‘misogyny’ inherent in Rivers character. Probably good to know…)

Drwho @drwho

The whisper Men……. They have been mentioned about alot before the name of the doctor came out, but they didn’t make a big role in the episode but i think moffat will bring them back for the 50th!

Anonymous @

@drwho — well, we’ve never seen the Time War. It’s only been referenced by Doctors from Ecclestone onwards and has been largely assumed therefore to have taken place sometime after the TV movie with McGann and the start of the reboot with Ecclestone. It’s also likely therefore that Hurt is going to be a previously unknown incarnation between those two Doctors.

Something that’s been striking me about the Time War recently though is it’s duration and location. Did it tear up vast swathes of the universe, cause untold devastation etc. or did it take place outside of time, maybe only lasting a couple of seconds in terms of the ‘real’ universe and its only real noticeable consequence being the sudden disappearance of all the Time Lords, including their home planet, as well as the Daleks etc?

Also if the name of the Doctor is something that can be chosen, an idea, essentially, then does that mean there’s nothing to stop other Time Lords from choosing it also. Could Hurt then be not necessarily be an incarnation of ‘our’ Doctor, but just ‘a’ Doctor? Although that, of course, wouldn’t explain his presence in the Doctor’s own timeline, so forget that….

Drwho @drwho

Badwulf you are right but what i was trying to say was did doctor who show the time war because if they didnt hurt could be the doctor that fought in the time war

Anonymous @

@brotherjohn, @ardaraith – on this River/Clara (or Clara/River!) theories –

But what about the moment in the episode where River says to Clara  ‘Whatever you’re thinking of doing, don’t.’  She wouldn’t try to talk herself out of doing the thing that causes her to exist in the first place?

btw – I just love DW.  In what other context would that last sentence make any sense at all?!

Anonymous @

@miapatrick — yes, I’m surprised at the number of people who have being get tangled in Truckles’ Web of Trollery — especially some who should really know better. Did we learn nothing from the whole DeM affair?

Drwho @drwho

@jimthefish,  Thats exactly what i was thinking when i watched the episode that hurt dosnt have to be any of the doctors weve seen, only for him to choose the name the doctor, but i still think he participated in the time war even though doctor who didnt show it

Drwho @drwho

Some people have come up with brilliant theries but i guess we wont find out till the 50th, and even better, its comeing out in the cinema,

Anonymous @

@drwho — yes, but like I say the fact that he’s present in the Doctor’s timeline at the end means that he has to be an incarnation of our Doctor, doesn’t it?

SatsumaJoe @satsumajoe

I wonder if the 5oth partly involves a battle with that Doctor to take control of the body.

@Shazzbot She ignored that instruction 🙂

chickenelly @chickenelly

Just watched it again and some observations in the form of a list (ooh, I do like a good list):

1) Clara in RoA says to the little girl that her mother told her ‘I’ll always find you’ – clearly an echo of Clara’s relationship with the Doctor.

2) I thought River as an ‘echo’ was reminiscent of Marion Cotillard’s character in Inception – she was a shade which her husband couldn’t let go of, but obviously without the murderous intent.  I also think *sob* this is the last we see of River, otherwise what was the point of the big speech plus she did fade at the end and say goodbye.

3) The graveyard and River’s ghostly appearance brought to mind Harry Potter (and before you ask, I love Harry Potter).

4) When they were walking through the underground maze to get to the Tombstone Tardis, Clara said ‘I hate catacombs’ – does this not echo something similar which was said in Time of Angels?  Possibly it might have been said by the Doctor himself.

Anonymous @

@juniperfish“River saved him at his grave-side from beyond hers, even though he’d never once gone back to visit her “afterlife”. He surely was lucky he met Melody Pond.”

Our various discussions on other threads on the difference between the early and the recent series, and the early and recent companions, came to mind when I read what you wrote.  And this is why – even though I have nothing but pure love for the River Song character and would prefer Alex Kingston stay forever – I think this was her last episode.

Nowadays in our stories, we as audience seem to need ‘closure’.  River has said many times that the Doctor doesn’t like goodbyes.  That may have been OK in the 60s 70s etc, but today that just doesn’t work.  And seeing the Doctor kiss River with such obvious tenderness, and tell her goodbye in just the way she wanted to hear it, is magnificent closure.

(But when the heck did she learn his name??  I thought for a moment that she would learn it in this episode in a timey-wimey way, but alas not – perhaps we’ll never know)

Drwho @drwho

I have been thinking that the hurt doctor might be a mix of all eleven doctors and might be the twelth doctor because he kinda looks like every doctor, if you think about it, He could be the doctor in a parellel universe and might have leaked into this universe, and i was also thinking that hurt must have been somewhere in the doctors timestream because he was in the doctors time stream, but this leads me to think, why couldnt  clara find hurt? I think because hurt might be from another universe and leaked into this universe after his time war and joins our time war!!!

@juniperfish

Maybe I’m just sulking because I was hoping for a granddaughter revelation. That would have had the most wonderful narrative symmetry across 50 years.

The 50 years aren’t up yet (I think daughter is a much more likely revelation – a mother-daughter bond is a great Riveresque spoiler)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@jimthefish– I know. I hated myself when I woke up this morning.

(Truckles clearly learned nothing from the DeM debate either. Certainly not what a DeM is. So I’m not going to try to explain to him that misogyny doesn’t mean ‘creating a female character that for some reason makes some men so feel intimidated they feel the need to describe them as ‘haughty”.)

ardaraith @ardaraith

A few thoughts, after a third re-watch:

River spoke to the GI as though she knew it.  She said, “you know he can’t go there…”  Additionally, the GI seems to have a deeper connection and knowledge of the Doctor than we have any inkling of.
    I am with the others regarding John Hurt (Doctor nth) being the Great Time War version, hidden behind the Doctor’s mind wall, which we were cleverly shown in NiS.
    The time wounds are located in the same physical location as the TARDIS central column.  Is there a possible merging that occurs between a Time Lord and a TARDIS, when he travels as much as the Doctor – he said he has travled more than any other living thing?

@juniperfish – Leading the Doctor to Trenzalore is exactly the sort of thing River would do, because she (Clara as River) knows she must (Clara as Clara) be scattered throughout time, in order to be in the Library to save the Doctor, etc.  Having River as an echo of Clara, albeit “TimeLorded” and TimeVortexed due to conception, helps explain how River could still have seen all the Doctor’s faces without Ten recognising her – because she saw them inside the Doctor’s timeline as “Clara Prime.”

It’s possible that  Time Lord Clara (the one living on Gallifrey)  directing the Doctor to Old Sexy could still work with the narrative that  Old Sexy stole her Time Lord because….. as we saw in TDW, Old Sexy views all time as happening now.  Clara Prime jumps into the Time Stream, which is connected to the Time Vortex, via Old Sexy, and is thus…in a timey-wimey way…influenced by Old Sexy – showing up just where the Doctor needs her.

@Shazzbot – River and the Doctor lie, and River doesn’t give away spoilers.  Anything River says can’t be held against her in a forum of Doctor Who Theorising.  🙂

@shazzbot

But when the heck did she learn his name??

I am still inclining towards when signing their daughter’s birth certificate….

Drwho @drwho

@jimthefish  Well.. no because hurt chose the name the doctor and the tomb of the doctor and the timeline of the doctor might think he is a doctor but only chose the name.. the doctor….. And yes because the time stream only shows the doctors, but again, why couldnt clara find hurt??????? Or it might be the other way around, the hurt Doctor was looked up to by the time lords and before the other doctor chose his name he chose hurts name the doctor because he was looked up to him, But why would he be in smiths timeline ……. guess we will find out on the 50th!!!!!!

Craig @craig
    Emperor

@chickenelly I just have to say that you definitely win the prize for best avatar this season*. Fantastic job.

* There is no real prize, just the admiration of us all 😀

ardaraith @ardaraith

(But when the heck did she learn his name??  I thought for a moment that she would learn it in this episode in a timey-wimey way, but alas not – perhaps we’ll never know)

@Shazzbot – She learnt it in the TARDIS library, by reading the History of the Time War.  She “made him” let her read it, by playing that scene out over and over with the Zombie Doctor in JttCoTD until she had enough time to find just the right page!  🙂

Drwho @drwho

The doctors name is the doctor, thats the name he chose, maybe time lords have a different way of naming there children then we do!

ardaraith @ardaraith

Oh – additional thought.  Did anyone else notice how the Doctor specifically said hello to Jenny when he finally arrived outside the tomb??

Anonymous @

@ardaraith – yes!  ‘Clara Prime’.  That should be everyone’s shorthand now – very good and concise.

“It’s possible that  Time Lord Clara (the one living on Gallifrey)  directing the Doctor to Old Sexy could still work with the narrative that  Old Sexy stole her Time Lord because….. as we saw in TDW, Old Sexy views all time as happening now.  Clara Prime jumps into the Time Stream, which is connected to the Time Vortex, via Old Sexy, and is thus…in a timey-wimey way…influenced by Old Sexy – showing up just where the Doctor needs her.”

Great idea, and for me it resolves that particular so-called hanging thread.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Oh, shucks @craig, thank you.  I do like to make an effort for the end of series.  @whohar has his bath, @Blenkinsop his home made Qantas lounge and @phaseshift his Lush bathbombs.  Me, I’ve just got Photoshop.

In terms of how River would know.  Hmmm, well I’m not one for the Clara is River bonkers theory but Clara would have read it in the History of the Time War book.

Anonymous @

@ardaraith – I think that moment with Jenny was acknowledgement / gratefulness that she was no longer dead.  He did say he had to go to Trenzalore to save his friends, and now he’s seen that the worst-off one was indeed saved.

ardaraith @ardaraith

@Shazzbot – oh, yea!  Of course Clara Prime would have told the Doctor how Jenny appeared to die during the conference call!  I was back to thinking it was a ‘Jenny as the Doctor’s Daughter’ reference!

oops!  Meant to say…I think @bluesqueakpip may have started the ‘Clara Prime’ term, or was that someone else up there^^ , or is was it me…in another time line??

Anonymous @

The Doctor told the Pat Gang to take the Tardis home to their place/time.  At the end of the ep, he’s still inside his own time stream but of course needs to get out – does that mean he’ll pop up again in Victorian England to pick up his ride?

ardaraith @ardaraith

!!!!!! @Shazzbot – Is he going to accidentally pop out in Ten’s time????

Anonymous @

@drwho – it’s been clarified before that each Time Lord picks their own name, so it’s not something the parents do (giving a name like ‘The Doctor’ or ‘The Master’).  The Doctor’s parents gave him the name that River knows and which opened the door to his tomb.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 1,042 total)

The topic ‘S33 (7) 14 – The Name of the Doctor’ is closed to new replies.