The Day of The Doctor – The 50th Anniversary Special

Home Forums Episodes The Eleventh Doctor The Day of The Doctor – The 50th Anniversary Special

This topic contains 963 replies, has 80 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous @

jack is extremely doubtfull @tennantmarsters2013 if he was in the episode what part would he play i feel like its a too many cooks spoil the broth situation if we put too many massive charcters into this episode itll become tacky i think and captain jack hasnt exactly been in matts smith doctor who unless im misstaken also i herd moffat didnt even wish for rose to be in this episode but cicumstances arose which ment he had to have her there so i doubt captain jack will be however i would love too hear your views on were he would fit into this as i do miss him and torchwood muchly

Magnetite @magnetite

I dithered too long about booking at my nearest cinema, but I now see that the Vue – in Hartlepool at least – is showing it again at 9.30 pm.

Hmmm, do I book to see it in 3D after watching it earlier on the TV in what will have to be a hotel room before hotfooting it across the street?

Tennantmarsters2013 @tennantmarsters2013

He was involved with bad wolf as bad wolf made him immortal… There’s one way he could fit in…for the other I cannot say because its not for this thread it would be part of another

ScaryB @scaryb

@magnetite

Definitely see it in the cinema if you can, I’d say. Even hold off watching on TV first – go to the cinema with blinkers and headphones on just in case (take them off once you’re inside of course!)

😀

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Most of the London cinemas now seem to be sold out for 7:30, btw.

Anonymous @

Actually, it’s Saturday (honestly, frankly, it’s Sunday now) but for those who are really into this kind of stuff …  😀

It’s Friday

Magnetite @magnetite

@scaryb Phew, there were a couple of seats available for the ‘live’ show, so I’ll be with you all in spirit at least – unless anyone else here is going to be in Hartlepool…

Now, do I rent a car for the weekend or stay in a hotel….?

Anonymous @

A good man goes to war, baby river. Camra pans down to the name melody pond. But what’s underneath? Just jumbled up letters and numbers, but if um not mistaken the sign of omega is the first one?! Come on 50th omega please it just makes sence. Any one agree? Or just me lol

A-Dub

CountScarlioni @countscarlioni

I’m sorry but I’ve had to delete this post as it discussed the trailer. Please keep discussion of the Trailer on the Trailer blog. http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/sidrat/the-trailer-discuss-it-here/

The particular question asked has already been discussed (and quite possibly answered). See here:

http://www.thedoctorwhoforum.com/sidrat/the-trailer-discuss-it-here/comment-page-4/#comment-1479

Craig

• This reply was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by  Craig. Reason: Discussion of Trailer

OK.

So.

Just watched The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances. Two things:

1. Still the best writer debut out there;

“Look at you, beaming away like you’re Father Christmas!”

“Who says I’m not, red-bicycle-when-you-were-twelve?”

Moffatt never throws anything away.

DickieGarvey @dickiegarvey

Hello everyone

I have an awfull feeling we arnt going to see how they get out of the doctors timestream

anyone else

DG

Rob @rob

Counting down the minutes 😀

Timeloop @timeloop

Hey guys,

just a quick hello from the cinema. Hope you enjoy the show! Really excited right now O_O

cheers

timeloop

OK. Am going to need some time to absorb that.

Bloody hell!

But can I just say LOST SHOE REFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!

ardaraith @ardaraith

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m just…. oh, man!!

That was FANTastic !!

My brain is a bit ‘splodey but also..

…just when you thought he’d forgotten about the Silence….

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

OK – What the hellllll?

Cannot compute. Now switched over to “THE AFTERPARTY” on BBC3 – that’ll bring me down to Earth.

overunder @jamesunderscore

Well. That was all sorts of awesome! So many little things to love – Capaldi and Baker cameos! John Hurt! Zygons!

Seriously, though. Ecclestone couldn’t swallow his pride for one day in the studio? Ah well, at least the chain of regenerations is unbroken now.

There were some bits that niggled, e.g: the time war involving anything as mundane as shooting, but when there were scenes as beautifully shot and acted as those with Hurt and Piper in the post apocalyptic shed, just… Wow.

Hope all who saw it on the big screen had an awesoae experience. I watched it sat on a bed in a hotel but still loved it and can’t wait to watch it again!

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Love the saving of Galifrey by all the Doctors. “Oh no- all thirteen” as you see the eyes of Capaldi. Laughed a lot.

Charlie Cook @charlie-cook

Wow!

Rob @rob

Fantastic

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

The Curse of of infinite recursion of the fixed speed of light has struck the live broadcast in a tie up to One Direction- it’s hilarious. Zoe Ball is going to pieces.

Anonymous @

A little bit moist around the eyes. Will watch again after ‘The Five(ish) Doctors’ but loved every, erm, ‘moment’ (get, I’ll, coat, my or something like that).

@jamesunderscore – yes, great pity. Really was surprised and disappointed that he hadn’t been lying his ass off as well. There’s a blink and you’ll miss it glimpse of him just as the regeneration scene ends (a whopping 2 frames and only his eyes), obviously from stock footage though.

‘Osgood’ has a prettier sister, hmmm wonder who that is?

Peter Capaldi and Tom Baker 😀

Magnetite @magnetite

Wow, that was amazing!

Back at the hotel working my way through a packet of Jammie Dodgers and I can’t take the smile off my face.

It truly felt like a proper film and kudos to everyone at the Beeb.

More reflections tomorrow I’m sure, after I’ve seen it again.

wolfweed @wolfweed

Yee-Ha!

Big cheer in the cinema for Mr Capaldi.

Whoops, cheers, laughing & crying in general.

Cinema ‘prequels’ really funny too.

Lots of new stuff on the official website now…..

FiveFaces @fivefaces

So much to love in this. Clara truly is the girl who saved the Doctor. But I have to admit I’m a bit confused about where this leaves The End of Time!

@fivefaces – it seems to me that it establishes End of Time, which hung on the whole time lock thing – which always seemed a cop out to me.

Now we see how that version happened (so we also know that 10ant snogged Liz well before it!).

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Oh dear.

A one off, or the shape of things to come? I know @danmartinuk s doing his buzzfeed “Thang” at the moment, but – jesus christ

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/nov/23/doctor-who-the-day-of-the-doctor-live-blog

Timeloop @timeloop

May I just say: Wow! LOVED IT

Just got back from the cinema. Same as @wolfweed. The hive mind was whooping and laughing and even applauding at two or three points in the cinema. Especially at the 1213 Doctors. Several cosplayers as well. I saw a TARDIS, a 7, a lot of 10s and 11s. And many screwdrivers. One came as a human Dalek like in the Asylum of the Daleks.
    At the mention of the ‘Moment’ I actually went “Ha!”. Very loudly. Was worth it. 😆

It was just a really amazing piece of art, pun intended. 3D was just stunning as well. Especially the picture(s)!

I can’t come up with any coherent thought yet. Looking very much forward to your thoughts!

Cheers,

Timeloop
    P.S.: Where does that leave the Doctor and Clara?
    Regeneration issue of thirteen? All of them knew how and why and therefore it wasn’t addressed?
    The idea with the thinking was brilliant.
    He used the same idea like the two stream facility. Very clever. Don’t you always say he uses test-runs before he uses the idea in something big?

Miapatrick @miapatrick

Really happy. Was a little surprised though- watching it through, I kept thinking that Moff had, unusually for him, gone smaller than I had expected. But then again, it was bigger on the inside.

It was far less about Matt Smith than the publicity might have suggested- though he was, because of Clara, the one who changed everything. And Hurt was wonderful- expressing some of the grumbles of some long term fans about the re-boot.

Three doctors, not one thought to check if the door way locked- brilliant.

chickenelly @chickenelly

Hurrah!  Just got in from the cinema.  Was umming and aahhing about forking out £13 for a ticket but glad I did.

First thing, I did ask for a multiple Doctor story and got one – technically 13 in all.  However if we leave aside the stock footage cameos, and include the McGann prequel I got six!  Not too bad.

Presumably this sets up the story arc for next series?

Agree with @phaseshift, just went over to the grauniad and no proper blog *shakes fist at grauniad’s obsession with live blogs*.

XAD4 @xad4

Now, that was fun!

Lots of girls with Baker-like scarfs in the audience, some 10s and 11s, plenty of fezzes, sonic screwdrivers and Jammie Dodgers, and two couples with the girl in a TARDIS dress and the boy as the respective Doctor. Noughty puns, go away!

Loved John Hurt.

Favourite lines:- ‘ the one that regrets’ and ‘ the one that forgets’ (yes, I’m easy to please with cheap psychology)

– ‘timey-WHAT???’ 😀

Gratulation @timeloop! 😉

Might have been the only one in the cinema who was actually crying in the end – mainly because I couldn’t stop thinking of our beloved @htpbdet.

Will have to catch up with all your posts, now, and then it’s time for a re-watch while treating myself with a big mug of mulled wine and a pack of Jammie Dodgers. And I don’t even like Jammie Dodgers. But hey, it’s the Day of the Doctor!

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@XAD4- try the banana-toffee dodgers. They are wrong but in a 50th anniversary way, right as well…

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

Well that was…. Excellent. A fitting tribute to 50 years of time and space.
    I’d like to think that perhaps somewhere, @htpbdet is watching it, with McShe and their little ones as well. May they all enjoy it and rest in peace.

Den of Geek review, with best line ever “Shall we lend Michael Bay the DVD, or do you want to?”

Deleted scene, courtesy of iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3gs4

And a making of

@phaseshift I’ve read a few bits of Neil Perryman’s blog, and (sycophantic commenters aside) it has some amusing bits. Bit of a shame that the Guardian has gone with that as their blog though. I hope there will be a proper blog/review tomorrow.

I’m amazed to see that there are people commenting on there that claim not to have enjoyed it. What one earth do these people need to make them happy?

@fatmaninabox Y’know, as the war doctor was regenerating I really thought he was going to appear, and then.. Denied. The production team did their best to make it look good, though.

The effects in this were really great actually. I liked that they kept the bluescreen stuff away from the acting – it can be horribly distracting when someone is obviously not where they’re supposed to be.

Anonymous @

I thought that was excellent but yet to form cogent thoughts on it. I’m really glad I was wrong about there being a regeneration as I’m not ready for Matt to go yet. Glad that The War Doctor got his regeneration though and I’d really like to see John Hurt’s Doc again. Off to watch it again immediately…

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@jamesunderscore

I know – I think it would be difficult to get a comprehenive view that @danmartinuk provided in his reviews, because the media blackout meant that there were no previews. The problem with Neil and Sue is that they’ve anticipated certain things in the reaction and it seems so obvious. Key points are missed, in terms of what you could expect, and the commentary is often about stuff that has been prereleasesed or could be anticipated.

The BTL interaction is what you could anticipate really. It’s the equivalent of tweeting when you watch an episode. You’re not really watching it. You’re concentrating on making droll comments about it. Not really going to work in this era is it? Probably fine for a Strictly come X-Factor, but in those you don’t have to follow a narrative.

wolfweed @wolfweed

‘I could tell by your eyes’.

z

adlerinthelibrary @adlerinthelibrary

I’m so happy! Audience in Mexico City was funny, lots of fezzes, lot’s of 11s, couple of Tens, girls with Tom Baker scarfs. Plenty of fan and ingenious t-shirts. Ah! Lots of I’ve seen a Silence face marks. I went with my dad. Can you believe that? I have the coolest dad in the world! The trailers were funny and the story. Ah! Well, the story. @xad4 you would’ve not been alone at the cinema with me, I was crying! But happy, but crying, but happy. And it looked amazing on 3D! Sorry, not being very coherent, but I ‘m still so excited, like a kid on an overload of sugar. My dad laughed a lot. He is NOT a Who fan, but knows the wee bit needed to follow the episode, which proves is open for all audiences, but of course if you actually have seen most of the series makes more sense… Lots of girls in the audience, Billie’s name got a major round of applause when it appear on the screen. Ah! Lots of screwdrivers of course, which for Mexico I think is awesome! Ahhh, can’t wait to hear all your thoughts!

ardaraith @ardaraith

So many things to think about.  One thought, for now.  I really saw Osgood as representing fandom.  She wore the scarf (as many fans do),  and she repeatedly called out to the Doctor to save her.

Hudsey @hudsey

“No sir! All THIRTEEN!” I actually yelped at that point… and Tom Baker’s ‘future doctor’ scene at the end… Many more bonkers theories to be had methinks!

StingRayBoy @stingrayboy

Me? Cry like a child because some old guy’s in a kid’s tv show? pfft.

“…and in years to come, you might find yourself revisiting a few but just the old favourites, eh?”

*Sob*

Arkleseizure @arkleseizure

Not much to say, except I loved it, and the cinema gave big rounds of applause at the appearances of Capaldi and Tom. (BTW, I remember Colin saying that he, Davison, McCoy and McGann wouldn’t be in it. He didn’t mention Tom. So kudos to him if he knew about it!).

As promised, the Little Green Man is back, now joined by his friend Zoom-Zoom.

Anonymous @

Proper review up at the Guardian. And I use the word ‘proper’ quite wrongly. More of that disingenuous ‘oh I didn’t understand what was going on I’m pure daft me’ schtick. And also more ARSE than you can shake a sonic at BTL. And I’m just not touching any of it.

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

As somebody on the Graun blog noted, if you can follow A Christmas Carol or It’s A Wonderful Life, you can follow Doctor Who.

wolfweed @wolfweed
Viewing 50 posts - 901 through 950 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘The Day of The Doctor – The 50th Anniversary Special’ is closed to new replies.