Mentions
-
1 year, 5 months ago - View
Juniperfish replied to the topic Lux
I loved it, but my brain is completely tied in knots with all the meta bits! 😛 (In a good way).
The Doctor and Mr Ring A Ding have lots of visual (and other) parallels – bow ties anyone? Blue suit? Picking up a (simpering, Betty Boop-alike) female companion (in a yellow dress!) as he starts an adventure…
I think I n…
-
1 year, 5 months ago - View
I loved it, but my brain is completely tied in knots with all the meta bits! 😛 (In a good way).
The Doctor and Mr Ring A Ding have lots of visual (and other) parallels – bow ties anyone? Blue suit? Picking up a (simpering, Betty Boop-alike) female companion (in a yellow dress!) as he starts an adventure. And Mr R-a-D’s style very strongly…[Read more]
-
1 year, 5 months ago - View
ScaryB replied to the topic The Robot Revolution
I love you guys!! (Waves at everyone).
I nip off for a couple of days and I come back to a whole bunch of bonkers theories! (Puppies, doors, maybe – but it’s still great fun).
@ps1l0v3y0u – Mrs Flood is actually the Vlinx…?!
I’m liking the whole Mind Robber/Land of Fiction ideas. And there’s still the loose ends of mavity and 14’s letting in…[Read more]
-
1 year, 5 months ago - View
blenkinsopthebrave replied to the topic The Robot Revolution
@juniperfish Excellent critique, with spot on examples. I totally agree with you about the death of the long-form TV story telling. It provided a way of immersing yourself, getting to know characters, and reflecting on their actions. Slowly, and over time. Indeed, it was a little bit like reading a novel. But what is now on offer is more like the…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
syzygy replied to the topic Empire of Death
@juniperfish “ …Bad Wolf” …. Oh very noice!
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
WhoHar replied to the topic General Open Thread – TV Shows (3)
Interesting about the “shouty” in The Bear. I found the 2nd ep of this season a bit too much like that. There was an awful lot in Season 2 and, although a tough watch at times, was done very well.
I’m pacing myself through the rest – I understand ep 6 was well received and directed by Ayo Edebiri.
my Dad has dementia
Sorry to…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
Craig replied to the topic General Open Thread – TV Shows (3)
I just binged watched season 3 of “The Bear” this weekend. And it was amazing.
And this might sound weird, but hear me out. My cousin watched Season 1, episode 1 and then gave up. Too much shouting and anger by dysfunctional people was kinda her take.
But season 3 episode 6 is a flashback episode for one of the characters,…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
ps1l0v3y0u replied to the topic Empire of Death
Not so much Badwolf as Madjack??
As good as any observation.
Though Sutekh went nowhere near Tardis or Time Vortex but was trapped in a space time portal for the rest of his natural life, because he wasn’t the messiah but a naughty little doggie. So, it doesn’t really matter what Rose said.
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
Mudlark replied to the topic Empire of Death
To be a warning about Sutekh it would need to be DAFTJACKAL
Or even more to the point, MAD JACK 😉
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
ps1l0v3y0u replied to the topic Empire of Death
To be a warning about Sutekh it would need to be DAFTJACKAL surely?
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
WhoHar replied to the topic General Open Thread – TV Shows (3)
I’ve heard it’s excellent, but just need to find out where it is being streamed down here.
FWIW, I have just starting watching Season 3 of The Bear. The first ep was glorious.
Also just finished season 1 of Slow Horses, also great.
And Season 4 of The Boys. Not for the squeamish.
I also got though the first two eps of The…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
ps1l0v3y0u replied to the topic Empire of Death
@whohar @juniperfish @blenkinsopthebrave
It’s not ‘sneering’ really. The obvious negative comments are of a predictable flavour from people who sign up specifically to be negative. Are they bothered about Who’s labyrinthine continuity? I could be very sneery there… no they’re not for a moment. But we are. Maybe it’s not someone sneering, but…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
WhoHar replied to the topic Empire of Death
@juniperfish @blenkinsopthebrave
Really good summary.
I think the above writers’ mistake is to think it’s a game of chess played against sleuthing fans, and the writer “wins” if the speculating audience is fooled/ wrong-footed.
I tend to agree, although I do have some sympathy with the writers. I remember submitting a script and the main comm…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
WhoHar replied to the topic Empire of Death
@blenkinsopthebrave @juniperfish
Am I being too harsh?
I’d say not. Your assessment seems spot on to me and has been echoed in RTD’s own comments.
I’ve deliberately avoided any pre-show pronouncements by the DW team, as RTD has a habit of saying things that don’t pan out on screen.
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
syzygy replied to the topic Empire of Death
@mudlark @whohar @ps1l0v3y0u @vickymallard et. al
I appreciate the theories but I wonder to what extent it’s likely the Christmas episode (or Eps 1-2, next season) will address issues of the Position of Pointing Person (PPP) particularly the differences between the first & last episodes under forensic analysis? 😁
If it turns out R’s birth…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
syzygy replied to the topic Empire of Death
@juniperfish yes, the article mentions Peter Pan
– also makes it clear the wish is over (the snow won’t necessarily be happening again)
-RTD is aware of other Disney shows….
-spoons-and, ordinary people. They MATTER.
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
Mudlark replied to the topic Empire of Death
… it was Ruby’s mother who he couldn’t see
Yes, now that you point it out. I suppose my mind was wandering down another path and interpreting ‘see’ in a much wider sense. But why, among all the other mothers who have abandoned their babies or given them up for adoption and whose children have since tried and failed to find them, was…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
WolvesAreRunning replied to the topic Empire of Death
Yes, I agree with this. And I don’t want to sound too harsh in my previous post. My main takeaway from this series is that it felt like proper Doctor Who. Monsters and scares, limitless possibility and a good heart. I just think someone needed to ask RTD to give more thought to certain elements of his scripts. And by the way, I c…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
Mudlark replied to the topic Empire of Death
He couldn’t see her, therefore he feared her, as a potential ‘rogue’ element that could sabotage his plan.
True, but in the population of Earth, let alone in the universe as a whole, how many people are mysteries to themselves and others, so why was it Ruby alone whom Sutekh couldn’t see? Was it the additional fact that s…[Read more]
-
2 years, 3 months ago - View
ps1l0v3y0u replied to the topic Empire of Death
The arc has been seeded with clues. Too many. We’re all over them and that’s what Russ wanted… but does that make for good art?
It’s like Line of Duty and morse code. The problem with the ‘in show solution’ and the obvious solution have hamstrung the narrative a bit.
As it happens there’s not enough information t…[Read more] - Load More


