On The Sofa (4)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (4)

This topic contains 948 replies, has 86 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 949 total)
  • Author
    wolfweed @wolfweed

@monochromedimension – Even better than the audios are the Loose Cannon recons…
    http://www.recons.com/
    z

There are also many fan made dvd covers for all missing stories & obscurities so that your collection all matches…

z
    http://christophersdrwhodvdcovers.webs.com/

http://gmaskew.com/pages/dw_art/dvd_covers.html

Whisht @whisht

ah @phaseshift you’re Master-like scheming is all too transparent!

ok then – which cards do you want to swap?

Be warned – they’re not in pristine condition but perhaps you don’t need that to make a full set and take over the World huh? huh? yeah… yeah – I got your number, ‘Master’.

‘Master’

Master…

[stares into Phaseshift’s avatar’s eyes and begins to lose will to keep hold of cherished childhood memories…]

wolfweed @wolfweed

When pondering what non-Who Telly deserves a watch, my mind turned to Press Gang – UnXpected (Season 4 ep 2) , being written by Moffat & about Colonel X, a (very Doctorish) TV character played by Michael Jayston (Yes, The Valeyard)…

z

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

Don’t worry – I’m not a completist on stuff like that, but I have a couple of big Tea Chests in the attic that are full of countless passing enthusiasms as I grew up. The Doctor Who chest is very big and stuffed with goodies (Phaseshift definition)/a load of junk (MrsPhaseshift definition).

@wolfweed

Genuinely that is the first suggestion for something I’ve never seen at all. Good one.

Whisht @whisht

ha ha – @phaseshift – have you seen Toy Story 3?

Hope you have your Woody for many years to come.

erm.

jeezus did I just type that?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht

Hehheh. I’m sure you’ll be happy to know my “Woody” is in pristine condition, and was actually the Buzz Lightyear of 1979, Rom – SpaceKnight!

Someone in Forbidden Planet once got really excited when I told them I still had it and it worked and asks me the question you inevitably get asked:

“Do you have the original packaging”.

You get used to trying to count to 10 before screaming “No you f***ing idiot! I was 10! I played with it! Like I was SUPPOSED TO!!”

Anonymous @

@phaseshift @fiveroundsrapid

I didn’t collect Doctor Who memorabilia when I was young, Star Wars was my ‘thing’.

I had a complete set of figures from ANH and TESB and most of the ROTJ ones. My collection of vehicles amounted to the Millenium Falcon, 2 X-Wings, a TIE Fighter, a Snowspeeder and some ‘Mini Rigs’ which were 3, non-canon vehicles that Palitoy sold on one of their ‘cut out and send x amount of names from boxes’ offers (I’m not sure if they ever produce them commercially).

“Do you have the original packaging”.

Yes, I did and some of them were unopened as well (they were Stormtroopers, Rebel Pilots etc which I used whenever Palitoy had one of their exclusive offers on).

I got my first flat when I was 19 and left my figures at my nan’s house (I was raised by my Grandparents), fully intending to collect them a week or so later. When I did eventually go back for them, I discovered to my horror that she’d given them all away to a jumble sale 😯 Luckily, she’d still got my old SW comics (complete collection from TESB onwards) which are currently hiding somewhere under a layer of dust in my spare room.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift — You had/have a ROM!! Words cannot express the jealousy I’m feeling at this moment….

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@fiveroundsrapid- re Capaldi Who- given the re-set nature of the new generations, and I suppose the age of the new incumbent, it might be nice to have something of a return to the start- suppose the male Teacher who gives Clara the Doctors message in TDOTD follows her to the Tardis- he looks like he might like too- and encounters the Doctor, who, if he is as suggested having some memory problems, is as yet a little less humanised than we are used to.

They could completely pull that off, considering that he has a companion who doesn’t just know ‘her’ doctor. She’s been around all of them.

(Actually they might have already done that recently for one of those History of the Doctor things, which might spoil it…)

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@juniperfish- I love Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. The film that is. Masters was great in the Torchwood episode, although, bafflingly, I like him best with bleached hair and a terrible ‘British’ accent. (Which sounded a little like Elvis Costello, so he always could claim it was meant to be transatlantic…)

Hush was a fantastic episode, which, coming to it latish, I didn’t see until Sci-Fi started showing Buffy- E4 never showed it, which left a weird gap in Willows storyline. (Same thing with the Buffy-Riley sex- fraternity house nearly destroyed.)

Anonymous @

A New Year message from Simon Fisher-Becker

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@fatmaninabox

Ah, I had quite a few of those myself (as did @whisht if I remember). I sold mine for beer tokens before disappearing to university. Alas any toy that remains unplayed with though.

@jimthefish

Yeah, when I first bought my house my parents emptied their attic and filled mine, and I found it a few years later. Still works, which probably owes more to the fact I could never afford batteries when I was young. Other things I still have are an 18 inch tall Alien from the movie in the 70s (with a spring loaded grabby inner jaw), and a Denys Fisher K-1 Robot from Doctor Who.

This was the extent of Toys for Doctor Who in the 70s:

I had the K-1 Robot and Cyberman (with nose, and silver painted cloth suit that shed within a week of opening the package). I love how the Doctor and Leela look nothing like the actual actors! Louise Jamieson once said the only contact she had with the company was a phone enquiry that asked about her bust size. She lied, which led to something anatomically improbable. 😀

Monochrome Dimension @monochromedimension

@whisht – Daleks. Sheesh, I recently checked on my Daleks again… I was pretty surprised at how many I have (random figures etc.). I was thinking of selling a few but now I want to keep them… just need to find a good place to put them on display.

Doctor Who wise I only collect the DVDs and used to collect random Dalek items, of course I have a few other Doctor Who themed merchandise, but nothing I’d consider a collection.

@wolfweed – Thanks for the links. Gotta say I love that pic of the Second Doctor they used for the cover.

Anonymous @

@phaseshift — I had k1, the Doctor, Leela, and the Cyberman. Oh, and the TARDIS. Was actually slightly gobsmacked to see how much they go for on ebay these days. I always loved the k1 robot. Such an iconic design. A real shame that it was never seen again. But, mind you, how could it?

PhoenixOne @phoenixone

Hi everyone, I really need your help.
    Does anyone know what page the carrionite is on in the doctor who 2014 annual in the monster hunt because I have found all the monster except that one please reply if you know.
    Thank you very much

nicelyuseless @nicelyuseless

Hi. I was going to post this under the ‘General Open Thread — TV Shows’ (to give it it’s proper name, even though I’m too dumb to know how to make it a link), but I felt that the topics I was going to address weren’t specifically pertinent to TV shows. I am responding to things that @blenkinsopthebrave and @scaryb said, and the sofa was here, so….

I have thought for a while that debaters in any forum, whether it pertains to national politics or (insert TV show here), have too often resorted to the ad hominem fallacy. However, while I am merely disappointed by it’s use among posters in Dan Martin’s Guardian columns, I find the seemingly widespread adoption, and acceptance, of this method of “debate” in political arenas within the UK and US dispiriting, disengaging, and ultimately frightening. I still feel political debate is important, if only that if the participants adhere to the principles of logic and civil discourse, so they could provide an example for the civilians that they are, um, … leading? That doesn’t feel right. Elected to serve? Hah. Serve….

I find it exasperating that one can expect to find a personal attack ‘below the line’ of any online article or Youtube video within a handful of comments. And if I said ‘handful of comments’ on Youtube I would get buried under an avalanche of pedantry regarding what a stupid turn of phrase that was, especially since I didn’t specify the font, and font size, and hand size, and so on. But we all know what I mean.

I think our “servants” on both sides of the isle (see what I did there? Fine, it doesn’t really work) could set a better example of public discourse, and I’m foolish enough to think it would influence the everyday interactions between ordinary citizens. Even in anonymity, and as far as a I know, the majority of us are anonymous to each other, but I could be flagrantly wrong.

Well, I’ll sign off whilst I’m somewhat nice, but still utterly useless. I hope I’m not poking a hornets’ nest, I only meant to highlight the ad hominem fallacy, and how nice people here are.

I only meant to be uselessly nice.

ScaryB @scaryb

@nicelyuseless

I still feel political debate is important… if only the participants adhere to the principles of logic and civil discourse, so they could provide an example for the civilians

Reasoned debate, as in proper communication, is the only way forward, IMHO. Unless you’re a Dalek fleet of course in which case you just wipe out the opposition… Although some of the sessions from the UK parliament (as seen on TV) leave me in despair at the levels of discourse – you get more reasoned debate from some daleks.

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

@scaryb and @nicelyuseless Compared to the present US congress/senate, our current parliament is a haven of civilised discourse. I remember the BTL shock at the New York Times when they reported on the formation of the Coalition. The shock wasn’t just at the very idea that Conservatives and Liberals might decide to work together; it was also that all three parties were conducting an aggressive but reasoned argument about it.

Yeah, resorting to ad hominem is bad; but a situation in which every policy must be aggressively defended – against a bunch of people looking to pick every hole they can find – isn’t necessarily a bad one. 😉

Whisht @whisht

@nicelyuseless et al – I fear we get the leaders/ public servants we deserve (certainly the ones we vote for).

I think if they thought we wouldn’t vote for them if they were seen heckling or using dumb arguments etc then they’d change their ways. Unfortunately its working the other way with apathy being the common reaction to politics. Also, voters (and non-voters) behave even worse on forums, as portrayed in vox pops etc etc, so provide no example or incentive to politicians.

Luckily the increasing transparency of public life can help (eg how often they attend Parliament/ surgeries; what they voted for etc) and the Press do at least sometimes do their job (eg expenses).

And people sometimes set up forums for civil chatting and arguing (thanks Craig).

[at this point I’d launch into a rousing “…its up to us!” speech but this is a sofa not a soapbox]

🙂

Not getting involved in the debate here, but I wanted to mention that this particular thread is actually for Doctor Who random discussions. The political debate would be better in The Rose and Crown thread… I’m guessing.

Whisht @whisht

he he he he!

@monochromedimension you are a fair and wise topic-Dalek!

😉

@monochromedimension Sorry, my bad. Shouldn’t have been standing on the sofa anyway.

@whisht – I try my best. Ahahaha!

@nicelyuseless – No need to apologize, just thought I should mention it.

TardisBlue @tardisblue

<<<shaking leftover streamers and confetti and *someone’s glitter* off my roof>>>

Hello, one and all.

Happy New Year!

And Happy Birthday, dear wonderful forum!

And jelly babies, celery, and Jammie Dodgers all around for reaching, nay, *exceeding* the 1000 member mark.

Should be some sort of prize for our emperor @craig — another regeneration cycle, perhaps? A sincere thank you to Craig and all our mods for making this the wonderful forum a Last Homely House* for civilized (civilised) Whovians far and wide.

I’ve been away, visiting family for the holidays. And in self-enforced exile from the site until I got home and was finally able to watch the Christmas Special. And then in “radio silence” until I was able to catch up on all the activity here.  Even now I’m reluctant to go onto the TV thread.  Sherlock series 3 has not aired yet in the states, so I’m skittish about spoilers.

Y’all certainly have yer “fumb on the pulse of cultshure” (with a shout-out to my favorite musical tree-hugger @whisht) (and a parenthetical howdy to @nicelyuseless and @tekdrudge from the West Coast of the USA, not far at all from the sound stages and back lots of Dorothy’s — if not @torij‘s — Kansas).

It’s a bit late, but I really want to tell you how touched I was reading all the Christmas eve and Christmas day posts. I felt all warm and fuzzy and cared-about and full of Christmas cheer. What a special place this is, indeed. Thank you, @everyone!

Speaking of hols, I hope yours were happy. @janetteb, your pre-Christmas schedule sounded exhausting. I hope you were able to relax on your well-deserved holiday. And I hope that our other regular OZ contributor, @purifilion, didn’t melt in the late December heat.

On the colder side of the globe, @chickenelly, @scaryb, @jimthefish, @craig, and others Scots, how was Hogmanay? My first-footer was not (alas!) a tall, dark-haired man. But it was a friend with a holiday gift of a mini-fruit cake and Dalek socks. 😀  No snow-bound Weeping Angel will dare to snatch my ankle now for fear of ex-ter-min-a-tion!  @blenkinsopthebrave, @denvaldron, and @arbutus, I was seeing horrific temps for parts of Canada, especially with windchill factored in.  B-r-r-r-r-r.  Even an Ice Warrior would be frozen without power and central heating.  Hope you’ve been spared ice storms and power lines going down.

At the risk of becoming tl;dr, I’m going to touch on some posts from the General Forums made during my absence. Sorry to lump my 2 cents (pence) all in here, but I forget where these posts came from. (And there wasn’t even a Memory Worm in my Christmas stocking!)

@tennantmarsters2013, your comment about the rehabilitation of Gallifrey may be the start of some bonkers theorizing in the months ahead. I was particularly impressed with the comments from the ever-articulate @bluesqueakpip and @arbutus.

@arkleseizure, must be one of the drawbacks of a public school (USA version) education. I missed out on the Time Lord and Lady Academy, so I had to Google “Theta Sigma and Doctor Who” to get your reference. Minus ten points for Gryffindor for not knowing it right away, but a bonus ten for quick and effective independent research to get the correct answer.

@fiveroundsrapid, thank you for the link to the Time of the Doctor read through. My eyes were close to misting when I saw that Matt was so moved by his lines. And Moff’s bear hug, what can I say?

@juniperfish, I enjoyed your January 1, 2014 post. And it’s nice to have occasional flicks of glitter still. Especially since they are virtual and I don’t have to worry about vacuuming (hoovering) them up. 😉

@thekrynoidman, I was touched by your introductory post. Sending you a big virtual hugs — there’s been some alcoholics in my family tree (or, in the case of my cousin CHW, *underneath* the tree he fell out of). Glad you got some solace from The Doctor during a difficult childhood; he’s been a healing influence like that for many of us.

@barnable, interesting to think of a parallel reality where The Doctor and Clara are still in his time stream, isn’t it? Unfortunately, that’s not the show runner’s reality. Moffat stated in some video clip interview somewhere on the interwebs (sorry I don’t remember where, exactly) that the Doctor did, in fact, carry Clara out of the time stream. Apparently, Matt had hurt his back or knee or something, so they didn’t shoot him carrying Clara more than a step or two. But don’t let Moffat’s view of reality keep you from theorizing. This site thrives on theorizing, the more bonkers, the better.

@all, today’s the 10th day of Christmas. And that means 10 Time Lords a leaping! Look out universe, Gallifrey’s a’comin’.

TardisBlue

*Last Homely House, Elrond’s home near Rivendell, is a reference to Tolkien, I know.  But I’ve always found it to be a comfortable, welcoming place, so I’m sure other Whovians would be right at home.  Besides, six degrees of Kevin Bacon.  Martin Freeman plays Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit, as well as Dr. Watson in Sherlock.  Moffat’s involved in both Sherlock and Doctor Who.  @bluesqueakpip, one of the earliest members of this forum, worked on a play with Gary Oldman, who was in two movies with Kevin Bacon (Murder in the First and Criminal Law). Ergo, Whovians are definitely welcome in the Last Homely House.

Juniperfish @juniperfish

@tardisblue What a lovely post 🙂

DO NOT visit the General TV Discussion Thread yet as there are definitely spoilers for Sherlock: The Empty Hearse on there. You will have to wait until after the 19th, which I believe is the US airdate.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous @

@tardisblue — Happy New Year. @juniperfish is right there are definite spoilers on the Gen TV thread with regards to the Empty Hearse. Maybe for the next two episodes someone should write a review/blog to keep all Sherlock speculation out of the way for those who have yet to see it….

CedarBranchTardis @cedarbranchtardis

Checked my Spam box on my email. Had two emails informing me my ATMOS bill was available online.

@monochromedimension Much appreciated.

@tardisblue Hi! Thank you for the parenthetical howdy. As anyone who has suffered through my posts will know, I do love parentheses. (Sorry.)

Couldn’t contain myself.

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

Thank you @tardisblue

@cedarbranchtardis Oh dear. I would just pretend I never saw them. At some point they’ll just go away.

Hopefully.

@cedarbranchtardis Whatever you do, don’t follow their directions.

@cedarbranchtardis Maybe just walk where you need to go?

Whisht @whisht

Happy New Year @tardisblue – any bonkers resolutions?

I should try and get some appropriate music on while I take down the xmas decorations later.

It is today they come down isn’t it? It seems too soon!!

The Krynoid Man @thekrynoidman

For those interested, they start filming series 8 on Monday.

@whisht – yeah, it’s this evening. The deadline is midnight – that’s when Misrule officially ends.

Whisht @whisht

Thanks @bluesqueakpip.

I guess those are the rules.

But you know what I think of the ‘rules’…?

;¬)

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@whisht @bluesqueakpip

I’ve just taken down mine, and have the sudden nagging feeling that the room is “missing” something that I get every year. Weird how something that you only use for a couple of weeks a year can have that effect.

@whisht , on New Years resolutions, I made my last one on New Year 1987, which was “no more New Years resolutions”. I have successfully carried this one out ever since, and always urge friends to respect my “resolution” and not ask me to break it. A cunning stratagem to avoid going through the rigmarole of making and keeping any new ones. 😀

Whisht @whisht

@phaseshift – couldn’t agree more. I never do resolutions at any point in the year.

I just do stuff without telling anyone or planning anything. A tad chaotic perhaps but I find it works for me.

🙂

hm, best get those lights on and eke out a few more moments of chrissmassyness.

Arbutus @arbutus

@tardisblue

Happy New Year to you! I hope you had a lovely holiday.

I was seeing horrific temps for parts of Canada, especially with windchill factored in.  B-r-r-r-r-r.  Even an Ice Warrior would be frozen without power and central heating.  Hope you’ve been spared ice storms and power lines going down.

Yes, it has been nasty in much of the country. Here on the west coast, it has been practically tropical by comparison. Apparently, on New Year’s Eve, the lovely city of Winnipeg was colder than Mars. And here is a great science experiment performed in northern Ontario:

http://io9.com/watch-what-happens-when-you-use-a-supersoaker-on-a-42-1494586739

We Canadians do know how to party!  ☺

Tekdrudge @tekdrudge

Since they start filming series 8 this week, will they film all of them in a row? It seems they change it up from series to series.

Arbutus @arbutus

@nicelyuseless     I do love parentheses. (Sorry.)

Repeat after me: Punctuation is our friend. Use early and often.   🙂

Devilishrobby @devilishrobby

Right I am posting this here but I am not entirely sure it’s the right place. I have a query and I know this may seem a stupid question but in the End of Time is Rassilon supposed to be the original Rassilon that gave the Timelords time travel along with Omega or is this a timelord that has taken the name of the mythic timelord. The reason I ask this is that my understanding was that the original Rassilon was no longer around or was in a state of eternal sleep. Now I appreciate that he was an ancient timelord if you include the who books as part of the cannon and as such he did not have the 12 regeneration rule to contend with,if he was just asleep so to speak the time war may have roused him, but I always felt that it was not clearly explained how he was there as president of the high council. So if anyone has any thoughts it would be appreciated

@devilishrobby – it wasn’t clearly explained. However, given that the Master was resurrected to be a soldier in the Time War, it’s generally presumed that the Rassilon played by Timothy Dalton was the Rassilon.

I was wondering about that too… hopefully it will be explained at some point… maybe when the Doctor finds Gallifrey or… Gallifrey finds the Doctor. Or maybe they’ll just leave it at that and we won’t find out if he was THE Rassilon.

And I’m hoping we get a pic of the 12th Doctor in his outfit soon as they start filming on Monday… rather excited about season 8… got a while yet though.

MeadowRose @meadowrose

Hello!

New to the forum and to the Whoniverse so just thought I’d stop in.

Apologies for my complete lack of knowledge. I’m working my through NuWho (and whatever smathering of Classic episodes are on Netflix). Needless to say, I’ll be more of a lurker for awhile but everyone seemed so friendly so just wanted to say “Hi!!”

I do have memories of watching the Doctor with my dad when I was younger but unfortunately, the theme music is the only thing that sticks out so I’m not even sure which Doctor it would have been (though given the time frame, I’d be guessing seven).

If I’m able to gather any self-control, I should be able to make the 5 series I have left last until the fall, though worst case scenario, it will last until April when the snow finally starts to melt and I can go outside again. At any rate, not a bad way to spend the winter months!

Happy New Year to everyone!

@meadowrose – Hi there, don’t worry if you’re new to the series; I’m sure everyone here would be happy to help out with any questions you have.

I myself recall watching Doctor Who when I was younger, but am unsure on which Doctor was my first as well. I’m pretty sure its the Third though, obviously would of been re-runs… but he’s who I would think of if somebody mentioned Doctor Who back then. Of course there’s the possibility it could be the Fourth as I recall K-9… or even the Seventh.

Anyhow, welcome and Happy New Year!

MeadowRose @meadowrose

@monochromedimension – Thank you!  There’s a wealth of information and ideas on here and I’m really looking forward to participating!

Yes, come to think of it, I likely watched mostly re-runs as well. A few of the other Doctors looked strangely familiar 😀

CedarBranchTardis @cedarbranchtardis

Meadowrose, I just started seriously watching a couple of years ago. I’ve seen most of the episode starting with Chris Eccleston. Really liking a Doctor and then loosing him can be rough, but that’s the nature of a Timelord. The same thing happens with companions. I typically DVR an episode and then watch it. Sometimes the “accent” can be a bit difficult to understand some words, so I have to back up and listen again. I have little experience with the “black-and-white Doctors. PBS wasn’t a very clear station when they were on. One reason I love The Doctor so much is because it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been a Sci-Fi fan since my first Superman comic book. ENJOY!

MeadowRose @meadowrose

@cedarbranchtardis – I was so embarrassed that I got all depressed when 9 regenerated into 10. I watched the end of series 2 last night and am still in mourning for Rose…..my husband thinks I’m insane 🙂

Yes!  Star Wars and X-Files have been my things since…….well, forever. DW is a whole different beast and I’m loving every minute! We watched The Tomb of the Cybermen a few nights ago (second Doctor I think…?) and I have to admit it was hard to get past how, well, ’60s it was. I love that the sound of the Tardis hasn’t changed though!

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (4)’ is closed to new replies.