On The Sofa (3)

Home Forums General On The Sofa (3)

This topic contains 963 replies, has 78 voices, and was last updated by  Craig 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 964 total)
  • Author
    Timeloop @timeloop

@pedant Love it!

Depends on which name I would choose. You can now call me the Priest (which is quite like monk and as 11 stated: monks are not cool) by my real name, the Master by my nickname (meeeeh…) and the Chronomancer by my forum name.

I think I will stick with that last one =) Thanks!

Bluesqueakpip @bluesqueakpip

Apparently I’m The Master…

blenkinsopthebrave @blenkinsopthebrave

Holy smoke! I am…The President!

Timeloop @timeloop

@bluesqueakpip Welcome to the team! They had to double at some point … Only 79 to choose from.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@bluesqueakpip

Apparently I’m The Master…

I’d suggest that was taken, but apparently I am … The Exile.

Anonymous @

@pedant – I’m The Director.  (real name)

Or, The Assassin.  (forum moniker)

The Directorial Assassin?  🙂

TardisBlue @tardisblue

<waves hello>

Been lurking recently, madly trying to keep up with the oncoming storm of all things Whovian, JFK retrospectives here in the states, and those things that insist on popping up in Real Life. (Don’t they know I have better things to do with my time?)

I have synchronized my watch and clocks so I can lift a glass in tribute to our dear HTPBDET at the appointed hour. Thanks, @timeloop, wasn’t it?, for the handy-dandy time zone converter. And thanks to @scaryb, @Shazzbot, and @craig, for arranging all the avatars for those of us unable to attend the Asylum of Whovians in person. I hope you have a great time

I am definitely getting excited. I’m having a friend over Friday night, and friends over Saturday for An Adventure in Space and Time and The Day of the Doctor, respectively. Fish fingers already in the fridge, custard recipes at the ready. I bought jelly babies a while ago, but ended up eating them all, so I’ll have to replenish them and pick up some Jammie Dodgers. (For other folks in the states, you can get Jammie Dodgers at Cost Plus. They don’t stock jelly babies, though, so I have to go to a British import store to get them.) Bananas (Tenth Doctor), celery (Fifth Doctor), turkey slices (it was turkey, wasn’t it, that Nancy was slicing in The Empty Child?, Ninth Doctor), … Still trying to remember whether there’s any food or drink associated with the Eighth Doctor — I’ve only familiar with the movie … San Francisco sourdough bread is delicious, but I’m not sure if it’s canon.

Since I’m having company, I’ll probably miss most of @phaseshift‘s live blog. Hope that it’ll be available later. I’m sure it’ll be out-of-this-world. 😉

<waving ta-ta for now and heading back to lurkerdom>

TardisBlue

chickenelly @chickenelly

Although I’m busy trying to move house in three weeks, I tried the Timelord name maker and found:

My forum moniker is the rather grand The Czar

However my real name comes up with the rather disappointing The Florist

Hmmm *thinks sarcastically* which should I choose?

wolfweed @wolfweed

My forum name is The Shepherd…

Anonymous @

I’m The President!! Get in!! (Real name)

or

The Assassin (forum name)

I kind of like them  both…

Oooh. Forgot about Forum name.

The Privateer

Which is a bit like The Corsair.

Which is cool.

OsakaHatter @osakahatter

@pedant – apparently, I’m The Defender, the Mrs is The Rogue and the little ‘un is The General. Which sums up our family dynamic rather well.

@all – all ready for Friday night, got a nice bottle of Talisker on stand by 🙂  To reiterate @whohar earlier today, see ya all (virtually) there – staying fairly Internet dark in the mean time for fear of spoiler.

janetteB @janetteb

@pedent. I am the Florist too. : – (  Didn’t know there were that many gardens on Gallifrey. Looks rather out outback S.A. to me; desert.

@tardisblue You can also serve chips, (Rose) sandwiches and Gorgozola (Pertwee. Jo was always offering the UNIT boys sandwiches), grapes for Hartnell. (the Romans.) I think they also ate doormice but that might be taking things a little too far. I am not sure just how healthy or gourmet a Dr themed feast is. Might have to work out for the following week to compensate. The other fruits mentioned are apples with smiles cut into them and satsumas, (mandarins in oz. Not sure what they are called in the U.S.) And of course do not forget the souffles. I had not thought of bananas and not will probably only use celery as a garnish. I was also going to include sliced Turkey as Christmas dinner gets a mention a few times and my boys are not convinced that cheese and mushroom souffle is really food.

Getting excited. Only two more days to get through till the weekend and celebrations begin…

Cheers

Janette

ScaryB @scaryb

@pedant … sorry, I mean  @ThePrivateer

reTime Lord names – Brilliant!

I’m the Actor in RL, the Sorcerer on here (magic!!).  So watch out 🙂

wolfweed @wolfweed

A-Dub @a-dub

Anyone watch the Doctor Who special of The One Show last night? Another blinding trailer with Hurt and Piper!! Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post it in.

A-Dub

@a-dub – discussion is on the preview clips blog.

Basically, any previews, clips or minisodes have a blog to discuss them in. Don’t discuss them outside there, because some people don’t want to know anything until Saturday, 7:50pm.

Anything you think is an actual spoiler (rather than an officially released clip/minisode etc.) should go in the actual Spoiler forum.

stevethewhistle @steve-thorp

Re: Doctor Who names,

using the informal version of my real name, I am The Doctor.

I see that so far there is only one President, and it is me!

I promise to rule wisely.

When I told her, Mrs Blenkinsop’s response was: “Funny, you don’t look like Timothy Dalton”.

Anonymous @

@blenkinsopthebrave — sorry old chap, I also got The President so we may have to resort to some sort of power-sharing arrangement. But I also got The Assassin, which I’m quite happy with, so I’ll go with that if you’d rather. (Although I can’t rule out a political assassination at some point… 🙂

@jimthefish

I can’t rule out a political assassination at some point

I resign!

(True, I am not living up to my monicker, but, as Orwell noted: “Doublethink means the power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind  simultaneously, and accepting both of them.” And who am I to dispute George?)

A slightly sad but also funny tale:

I popped into my local Waitrose to buy a Radio Times (they’re Waitrose. They stock the Radio Times). It looks as if they were popular this week – The Radio Times section was nearly sold out.

The one at the front was Colin Baker. So I leafed through, looking for Sylvester McCoy. Colin Baker. More Colin Baker. William Hartnell with the distribution label on the front. More Colin Baker. Tom Baker – with the distribution label on the front.

‘Hmmm,’ I thought, as I left two guys in their thirties in the midst of a serious discussion about whether to buy the Tom Baker (with distribution label). ‘Waitrose often stick a few RT’s in their newspaper stand.’

So I checked there. Two William Hartnells, one Christopher Eccleston – and six or seven Colin Bakers.

I came home with William Hartnell. Happy 50th. 🙂

Whisht @whisht

@pedant – thanks (that be catnip)!

somewhat spookily, I am The Illuminator.

which is bit weird as I actually used to illustrate for a living*… (illuminated manuscripts and all that).

*well, I say a living. I was an un(der)employed illustrator for a few years before becoming so thin and hungry that I gave in and figured out how to turn a computer on and ‘learn web’.

[sigh]

@whisht – it’s understood in all the creative industries that what you do for a living and ‘what you do for an actual rent-paying living’ may not be the same. 😉

Timeloop @timeloop

@tardisblue *waves back* My pleasure – simply one quick search away. I hope a lot use the opportunity! Haha, I just remembered Marta’s journey around earth to tell everyone to think of the word ‘Doctor’ when the countdown ends. Will be something like that for me personally.

I am doing something similar @tardisblue. I invited the only friend who knows Doctor Who (sad, right?) for a sleepover/ Doctor Who Marathon. Will try to sneak some of that Doctor Who BBC feed on Saturday. And then we will rush to the cinema to meet more follow-whovians. I can’t wait to see which kind of person in Germany filled all those screening rooms. Because I don’t see any of them ever on other occasions. My mate (yeah, using slang *hehe*coughs*) even wants to dress up in some Doctor-ish fashion which will be fun. There will be a lot of squeeing and giggling before the movie. There will be an instant discussion of the movie afterwards.

@janetteb and @everyone else who might have waited for an answer: Sorry I didn’t answer sooner. Ever since I was lured into that CIN trap I was just keeping taps on this forum and only very reluctantly watched video material. I felt this would make it easier to get away from spoiling the movie (in just little ways). I don’t even dare to go near ‘Spoilers’ now. There are things out there @wolfweed won’t even post in ‘Spoilers’ because they are too spoiler-ish!

I did however watch The Ultimate Guide and the Last Night of the Doctor. I liked all that recap in the guide. Although I would have classified one thing Moffat said as a spoiler but I won’t repeat it just in case. Moffats description of the Daleks was weirdly fitting: Robots with an anger problem 😆

@Shazzbot @scaryb @bluesqueakpip @juniperfish @craig @jimthefish @pedant @whisht @danmartinuk @arkleseizure @pufferfish @Airedales etc. @blenkinsopthebrave @fatmaninabox @magnetite @osakahatter @steve-thorp @tardisblue @thommck@janetteB @whohar @wolfweed @miapatrick @phaseshift @mini-htpbdets and @everyone else who wants to be included – my apologies to those forgotten.

Since someone (sorry, didn’t make a note) pointed it out in some thread that some of you won’t be near the Internet due to traveling or having/taking part in massive celebrations (looking forward to the pictures!) I felt compelled to address all of you now:
    I hope all of you have a splendid weekend! Try to enjoy the movie wholeheartedly – we have to wait another month for the Christmas special and then there will be the long desert of nothingness. Looking forward to discussing bonkers theories with you!

@bluesqueakpip I hope you don’t mind I rounded up several topics in here. Otherwise it would have been all over the place. I made sure there is no spoiler of any kind in this post.

ScaryB @scaryb

Can’t believe we’re finally almost here. 50 years. Oh my giddy aunt

Just to wish everyone on here a fabulous anniversary and look forward to analysing it with you, to within an inch of its life, afterwards.  And I’m sure that whatever Moff and crew come up with will be different from anything we’ve  thought of so far, thrilling tho the discussion ride in this forum has been.   Just maybe we might have got a smidgeon of a whisker of something that actually happens.  Bow ties, watery portals, 4th wall breaks and Kennedy (and now we have 2 Presidents. And an Assassin!) – it’s been brilliant fun so far.  Thank you all.

Also looking forward to meeting everyone who makes it to the pub tomorrow, for some last minute bonkers theorising. And all those who can’t be there in person but who will be ably represented by there avatars. Photos to follow…

@phaseshift – You are a star for offering to man the blogs.

@pedant – thanks for the great ARSE article – you’re just a big softie really, aren’t you? 🙂

From – The Sorceror

::spooky laughter from behind new/old sparkly cloak mwuhuhuh:: 😈

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb (and all)

Can I wish the attendees of the convention the best memories and time of their lives.

For the lesser mortals amongst us, including me sadly, we’ll be here. Alone…forlorn….

…having a virtual Party.

Badges… BADGES!?!?!
    We don’t need no stinking CONVENTION badges!

Tis the 50th Baby – Party Hearty!

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift We will keep you from wallowing by sending you a deluge of increasingly fuzzy and out of focus shots from the pub. You also have a lot of cocktails to get through.

And excuse me – but I don’t believe you’ve come up with the Hangover Cure yet!  Please note this is now a matter of some urgency!!

;-D

The Sorceror

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

but I don’t believe you’ve come up with the Hangover Cure yet!

Oh dear, ScaryB, now come on – You’re Scottish – fry something drink some Irn Bru. Sorts me out every time! Only GLASS bottles though. To much fizz in the plastic PET bottles. 😀

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

But, but, but… we’re in LONDON! it’s a foreign country here. Do they even know what Irn Bru is…?! (The proper stuff – made from girders n all that!)  You just have no sympathy for us poor forumers on the front line tomorrow night – putting our livers on the line just so you can keep your blog full 😉

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

@scaryb

Don’t worry – if you fall at the frontline there will always be a parcel of the UK forever labelled “BARRS”.

I do have an alternative for a hangover cure though. It may suit the metropolitan “vibe” more.

Take one Andrazani Minor Queen Bat, Milk and whisk the result to an aerated consistency. Add one Terran Chicken Egg Yoke and stir briskly while adding a dash (5cl) of “Martian lovejuice”. Beat until THIS SECTION HAS BEEN MODERATED.

And that’s how I do it!!

ScaryB @scaryb

@phaseshift

BLEEEEURGH!!

I’ll stick with the hangover, thanks

😆

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    Just been tweeted…

wolfweed @wolfweed
    Miapatrick @miapatrick

@scaryb, @bluesqueakpip, @Shazzbot, @timeloop, @jimthefish, @juniperfish, @whohar, @phaseshift, @wolfweed, @janetteb @tardisblue, @steve-thorp, @osakahatter @fatmaninabox, @magnetite, @blenkinsopthebrave, @whisht, @pedant

And not least @danmartinuk, @craig and @mini-htpbdets (and apologies if I missed or misspelt anyone, you have no idea how difficult it was for me to type this list) I hope you all have a wonderful time this weekend, whether at the London meet up (there will be dogs, of course you will have a wonderful time. And a bar.) or elsewhere.

I feel, thanks to this site, the blog that inspired it’s creation, and especially the contributions of @htpbdet that I am approaching this anniversary episode with a much better understanding of what it represents than I ever could have otherwise. And I have been able to obsess over the coming episode, and turn down party invitations for Saturday night, without feeling like a complete loser 😉

Miapatrick @miapatrick

@pedant- I’m the destroyer… I think that was just my computer talking to me.

my real name: I’m the mage. That’s my computer laughing at me.

thommck @thommck

Can anyone tell me if An Adventure In Space & Time is suitable for children (9-12)?
    I missed it last night and was wondering if I should let my kids watch with me?

Juniperfish @juniperfish

Hi @thommck

It’s suitable for kids using the traditional “no sex or violence” criteria but it’s not made for kids. It’s very much Gatis’ love letter to early Who/ behind the scenes at the BBC, and thematically it is quite sad as it focuses on William Hartnell’s declining health.

thommck @thommck

No sex or violence? Doesn’t sound like Doctor Who at all! 😉
    Thanks @juniperfish

Pufferfish @pufferfish

Finally! Just teleporting in from Planet Deadline, mission accomplished and all that.

Not long to go now, so see @shazzbot et al in the pub later.

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

Thank buggery it’s Friday! One more sleep, no more work and I’m going to enjoy a Who weekend.

@thommck

I agree with @juniperfish in that there is nothing to stop the young watching it in terms of content, but they might find it a bit dull. I think you’ll enjoy it though.

@juniperfish

I’ve lost track of the people going to the convention on particular days. Are you going tomorrow?

PhaseShift @phaseshift
    Time Lord

I just had a look at the main TV page of the Guardian, and all except one article is Who related! Weird.

thommck @thommck

Thanks @phaseshift, it’s more a case of me not having to wait until they go to bed before I watch it, if they don’t like it they can go and read a book 😉

wolfweed @wolfweed

z
    z
    DW Celebration

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

z

Magnetite @magnetite

wolfweed @wolfweed

z

wolfweed @wolfweed

@magnetite – I think that No. 10 might be a Yum-Yum…

Or is it just a plain iced bun?

Hudsey @hudsey
    XAD4 @xad4

Cheers Everyone from me, too!

Hope you’re all having a gorgeous time.

Viewing 50 posts - 651 through 700 (of 964 total)

The topic ‘On The Sofa (3)’ is closed to new replies.